Like Tree7Likes

Japan 8000 more suicides during Covid

Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I would say that this is not a matter of 'shades' when one is 3000km across in it's longest direction, and the other is 35km.
    Yes what's your point? If you can travel within one country which is locked away from rest of the world there are no issues at all? All good?

    I was also referring to all other Covid restrictions which I assumed Japan implemented as well. But I might be wrong there given that TheBrit says there were never any restrictions within the country. And I was refering to anything that has been destructive to certain groups of societies mental health. Say for example restaurant workers if nobody is allowed to go to restaurants..

    So I stand by my shades. This is btw not a Japan bash, this can be argued for most western countries too. Although I think a country like Sweden for example, they really had VERY limited restriction ever during these 2.5 years. And I think the mental health effects were almost largest for those that were afraid to catch covid (pre-vaccines). So rather a reverse of most other places.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,483

    In related news Japan does seem to be struggling with over capacity in hospitals due to a surge in covid cases this week:

    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...truggle-covid/

    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../covid-deaths/


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,015

    Covid restrictions in Japan, however slack, wont help with the already high suicide rates.

    I see life being tougher for everyone in the world unless you are wealthy. The poor is getting poorer. You dont see many billionaire descendants committing suicide, right?


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,432
    Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Yes what's your point? If you can travel within one country which is locked away from rest of the world there are no issues at all? All good?
    My point, which is about a side argument and not the main meat of this thread, was that this was so ridiculous that it needed to be called out:

    Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Also you can make a similar argument for HK, everything has more or less been normal here too, except mask wearing. But it affected my mental health a lot with the border closure..
    There have been border closures in Japan, in HK and (as another point of comparison) Australia.

    Border closures for HK have been out of proportion to these other countries, because they are entire countries with states/prefectures/cities and towns, and not a tiny, tiny SAR that you can literally hike across in the course of a single day.

    If you are going to argue that border closures are a big deal, then the size of the territory that is closing the border is obviously a consideration.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    My point, which is about a side argument and not the main meat of this thread, was that this was so ridiculous that it needed to be called out:
    Called out? I think we are in full agreement border closure is different living in HK or Japan. You just not hearing/understanding me, you get stuck on that there is a difference and happy you can find an error in what I wrote. Jeez man what I'm saying is, there are many reasons why Covid restrictions like border closure (for example if you are a flight crew, expat with family abroad etc), restaurant closures, work from home (not physically seeing colleagues) etc etc would affect mental health.

    So what I actually wanted to discuss was that whatever measures taken, due to covid, that has affected mental health for large portions of the population. The mental health aspects should also be taken into account before the measure is implemented. That does obviously not seem to happen. And why is that? That was my intention of starting the thread. If I look at places in Europe, they would take mental health considerations into account, weighting it against the other downsides of not implementing a certain covid measure.

    I tried to open up for a discussion through this article but you just came in and tried to make a point of something obvious that Japan is larger than HK.. ..great! I do think border closure has affected the mental health also in Japan for some portion of the population, perhaps not a huge one, but at least some part. No matter the size and opportunity to travel within Japan.
    Sage likes this.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    I was also referring to all other Covid restrictions which I assumed Japan implemented as well. But I might be wrong there given that TheBrit says there were never any restrictions within the country. And I was refering to anything that has been destructive to certain groups of societies mental health. Say for example restaurant workers if nobody is allowed to go to restaurants..
    Japan didn't use restrictions in general during Covid. Instead they relied on recommendations which were enforced through haji (shame).

    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/02/w...pan-covid.html
    https://hayakawajunpei.tumblr.com/po...panese-culture
    RobRoy likes this.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by qhank:
    Japan didn't use restrictions in general during Covid. Instead they relied on recommendations which were enforced through haji (shame).
    Interesting, it's such a fascinating place! Might explain why TheBrit was unaffected - Zero shame!
    qhank likes this.

Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2