Like Tree33Likes

Life expectancy in USA plummets

Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    4,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt30:
    70% of the USA is classified as obese. This is the biggest factor for the lower life expectancy in my humble opinion. Covid has a stronger effect on obese people.

    HKers eat a lot of processed food but they walk everywhere and there is social pressure to stay slim. If you get fat your coworkers, friends and family will quickly point it out.
    Let’s be perfectly honest though. Obesity and waistlines in the UK is a growing trend showing no sign of declining. When I was a kid at school there’s typically be the one fat boy in the class, taking the brunt of the bullying in most cases with one memorable notable exception.
    Gollygordon likes this.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,728
    Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Let’s be perfectly honest though. Obesity and waistlines in the UK is a growing trend showing no sign of declining. When I was a kid at school there’s typically be the one fat boy in the class, taking the brunt of the bullying in most cases with one memorable notable exception.
    And "the fat family" at the public swimming pool. Always just the one family.
    ByeByeEngland likes this.

  3. #23

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Taiwan and sometimes HK
    Posts
    5,603
    From the article:
    Research shows that increased use of alcohol and reduced cigarette smoking can lead to obesity and therefore may have contributed to the higher rates of obesity among U.S. adults during the pandemic.
    But sitting around in lockdown, eating copies amounts of potato chips and ice cream has little to no effect on obesity...
    hullexile and hike like this.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    94

    COVID is/was particularly deadly with the elderly, it should be pretty obvious that countries that already have lower life expectancies and a younger population were less impacted. The US is a perfect mix of shady health services for the poor, an aging and obese population and stupid politics so it shouldn't be a surprise to see these numbers.

    Gollygordon and hullexile like this.

  6. #26

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    From the article:


    But sitting around in lockdown, eating copies amounts of potato chips and ice cream has little to no effect on obesity...
    US never really had any appreciable lockdown, though. You had a handful of big companies letting people work from home for a while, and schools went on zoom for around 4 months, but that was basically the extent of it.

    Obesity is a major problem in the US, but it was also the case before the pandemic. Lack of vaccination and lack of public health infrastructure is what sets the US apart from most other developed countries and is exacerbating these problems.
    hullexile likes this.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,728
    Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    COVID is/was particularly deadly with the elderly, it should be pretty obvious that countries that already have lower life expectancies and a younger population were less impacted. The US is a perfect mix of shady health services for the poor, an aging and obese population and stupid politics so it shouldn't be a surprise to see these numbers.
    Yet I look at the UK which also has an aging population, an existing high life expectancy and a growing obesity problem and their life expectancy grew by 0.15% in 2021 and again by 0.15% this year. We are not talkng about minor differences in decline but one country with rapid decline and others with growth.

    The UK did better on vaccination and has the NHS.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    43,686

    Another data point to consider ... which states have contributed the most to lowering the average life expectancy of the country. Then worth looking at covid related and perhaps other chronic condition related deaths in these states.

    Is the a correlation between 1) ruling parties 2) education levels 3) public health 4) environmental and educational policies?

    Mississippi began to fall behind again; for example, life expectancy in the United States as a whole rose about seven years between 1980 and 2015 but increased only three years in Mississippi.

    We have a pretty good idea of what happened after 1980. The most likely story is that as America increasingly became a knowledge-based economy, high-value economic activities — and skilled workers — gravitated toward metropolitan areas with good amenities and highly educated work forces. Places like Mississippi, which had relatively few college-educated workers in 1980 and fell further behind over time, found themselves on the losing end of this change.

    There are no easy answers to the problem of left-behind regions. But one thing is for sure: Imagining that tax cuts will bring prosperity to a poorly educated state that can’t even provide its capital with running water is just delusional.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/01/o...-shortage.html

Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3