Like Tree33Likes

Life expectancy in USA plummets

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,710

    Life expectancy in USA plummets

    Now 9 years less than in Hong Kong or Japan

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62740249

    MABinPengChau and Gollygordon like this.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    4,228

    Maybe if they stopped ramming so much processed food down their throats and stopped driving everywhere it would be a start.

    VillanElle, hike and Mrs. Jones like this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    43,644

    A lot of this might be covid related?

    Gollygordon likes this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,710
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    A lot of this might be covid related?
    Yes that is what they say for the sudden drop. Some other countries have also declined but not so dramatically as far as I know.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Taiwan and sometimes HK
    Posts
    5,596

    It's also from overdose deaths (usually opioids, but there are a plethora of fine chemicals to OD on...). We already (before covid) had so many OD deaths it had decreased lifespan.

    For males, 20-44 (2016 data, couldn't find breakdowns for later years) the top 3 causes of death were:

    1. Unintentional causes (accidents, drug overdoses): 38%
    2. Suicide: 13%
    3. Homicide: 10%

    Last edited by MABinPengChau; 01-09-2022 at 10:47 AM.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    It's also from overdose deaths (usually opioids, but there are a plethora of fine chemicals to OD on...). We already (before covid) had so many OD deaths it had decreased lifespan.

    For males, 20-44 (2016 data, couldn't find breakdowns for later years) the top 3 causes of death were:

    1. Unintentional causes (accidents, drug overdoses): 38%
    2. Suicide: 13%
    3. Homicide: 10%
    Its sad that these figures are not surprising to me lol

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    113

    70% of the USA is classified as obese. This is the biggest factor for the lower life expectancy in my humble opinion. Covid has a stronger effect on obese people.

    HKers eat a lot of processed food but they walk everywhere and there is social pressure to stay slim. If you get fat your coworkers, friends and family will quickly point it out.

    Crankshaft and Mrs. Jones like this.

  8. #8

    At least it is still 22 years longer than the Central African Republic.

    chuckster007 likes this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    43,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    At least it is still 22 years longer than the Central African Republic.
    In a glass half full mood huh?
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt30:
    70% of the USA is classified as obese. This is the biggest factor for the lower life expectancy in my humble opinion. Covid has a stronger effect on obese people.

    HKers eat a lot of processed food but they walk everywhere and there is social pressure to stay slim. If you get fat your coworkers, friends and family will quickly point it out.
    And shop assistants in 7-11

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast