Like Tree118Likes

PM Truss - Seems a lovely person

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Name:  IMG-20221020-WA0005.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  22.8 KBv
    TheBrit, East_coast and drumbrake like this.

I also feel sorry for her, for the reasons you mentioned but also for how she was set up to fail by the incompetence and disorganisation of the conservative party.

She ran for leadership on a very clear and very explicitly stated ambition to lower taxes without bringing down borrowing, with a belief she has not hidden that this is key to the growth the UK lacks. She was put in power by a party who ignored Rishi Sunak's explicit criticism of her plan to lower taxes (with him correctly stating that to do so at a time of very high and still rising inflation runs directly counter to what the BoE is trying to achieve). Truss then immediately sets up implementing the plan she runs on and the market immediately reacts as the market obviously would. Conservatives then somehow, and without even a glance at themselves, up in arms about what a disgraceful failure Truss is and how she has to go.

They chose the wrong candidate and now are happy to make her the scapegoat. The fault actually lies with those who put her in power, not Truss herself. Whole debacle is very much evidence that many in the party are either acting disingenuously or (more likely imo) just genuinely don't have a clue what they are doing.

They have lost credibility and should call a general election as soon as possible. Issue there of course is that labour aren't any more competent, but what can you do... I'm naturally inclined towards pessimistic outlooks and cynicism, but with that stated I'm struggling to see how the situation could realistically be more bleak for the UK.

Fuck truss. I only feel sorry for those who are struggling to pay bills, not some venal politician who leaves with a 100k a year allowance and not even an apology for the mess she has left behind.

The one good thing about this whole debacle is that once again we see that to become a politician takes a special kind of stupid mixed with arrogance and an absolute lack of self awareness.

I'd say it's time the adults were let back in the room, except I don't know where they are. When a loser like Hunt is being held up as part of the solution you have to wonder how this government will ever gain back credibility.

They've actually made Starmer and Labour appear a valid alternative, which has taken some doing.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    Fuck truss. I only feel sorry for those who are struggling to pay bills
    Are you blaming Truss / Tories for pan-European energy price issues?

The Conservative Party scheme to shell out huge dollops of cash public money for energy subsidies for all will result in a massive tax bill (£1000s) later for ALL including the 1 in 8 homes that use alternative fuels from direct oil, gas or electric heating so get no benefit.

Name:  EU-gas-price-chart-FT.png
Views: 108
Size:  32.8 KB
    Gollygordon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gollygordon:
    They chose the wrong candidate and now are happy to make her the scapegoat. The fault actually lies with those who put her in power, not Truss herself.
    They choose a candidate who was too far from centre economically. The first past the post system rewards centrism and punishes extremism at all levels. The system designed to remove leaders that veer away from the centre seems to by working very well.

As for selection the experiment in popular contest style voting from a very narrow niche of the general public appears to be over and back to behind closed doors deals and selection which should result in a better leader with a stronger mandate from MPs is back.

Original Post Deleted
    Because a multimillionaire whose wife claims non-resident status to avoid paying about £20M in UK taxes is such a better choice?
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 22-10-2022 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Are you blaming Truss / Tories for pan-European energy price issues?

The Conservative Party scheme to shell out huge dollops of cash public money for energy subsidies for all will result in a massive tax bill (£1000s) later for ALL including the 1 in 8 homes that use alternative fuels from direct oil, gas or electric heating so get no benefit.

Name:  EU-gas-price-chart-FT.png
Views: 108
Size:  32.8 KB
    No.

In fact I didn't even mention the word 'energy'.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    No.

In fact I didn't even mention the word 'energy'.
    Are you blaming Truss / Tories for pan-European food price issues?

Name:  ecb.ebbox202204_06.en_img0.png
Views: 76
Size:  74.7 KB

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast