Like Tree116Likes

PM Truss - Seems a lovely person

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14

Quote Originally Posted by Gollygordon:
    Her tax affairs are of course legal and I also don't have an issue with non-dom status. But surely you'd concede it is an enormous conflict of interest if Sunak is in a position to influence a policy that currently nets him 10-20m GBP per year?
    Yeah….but no. Non-dom status has been around for decades at least I believe, it’s settled policy and I don’t believe there is much appetite to change it.

And any PM or Chancellor can and will have conflicts of interest, it’s inevitable. There is no suggestion he tried to personally profit or cause his wife to profit, so I don’t actually care. If he did try to alter policy for personal gain then it might be another story but we can convict anyone of anything in hypothetical situations.
    East_coast likes this.

Yes no implication that he did or tried to benefit (not that he really needs to) but still he can't be trusted to be impartial if public appetite demanded consideration ofwhether non-dom should be reviewed. Should disbar him imo, though have already been chancellor it seems that no one actually cares (amusing given the public uproar we see regarding cheeky but immaterial expense claims etc).

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Your support of the racist misogynist piece of shit Trump is legendary….

… and my support of Rishi Sunak is very clear on this very thread…

But don’t let that stop your with your fake news…. I expect you’ll run away and hide now like you do every time your bullshit is exposed… cowardly prick that you are.
    You really need to see a psychiatrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Got a recommendation?

Bit grumpy today because your boy BoJo had to throw in the towel? Gilts rallying strongly now the fantasist cake-eaters have been routed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Yeah….but no. Non-dom status has been around for decades at least I believe, it’s settled policy and I don’t believe there is much appetite to change it.

And any PM or Chancellor can and will have conflicts of interest, it’s inevitable. There is no suggestion he tried to personally profit or cause his wife to profit, so I don’t actually care. If he did try to alter policy for personal gain then it might be another story but we can convict anyone of anything in hypothetical situations.
    Labour claim that they will abolish it this time around when they get power. So let them prove that they will. It was never a pledge of the Tories to get rid of non-dom status. Getting rid of it completely will definitely cause a few moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gollygordon:
    I'd also suggest his explicitly non British wife and his US green card holding status presents another conflict of interest for Sunak.

MI6 wouldn't have him for that reason because they know full well his loyalties are not clear, why should the role of most senior fiscal officer in the land be any less stringent?

Shame as I think he is actually pretty good, relative to the competition.
    A green card is a permanent residence permit. Does not mean or imply any allegiance to the US. Given that ordinary British taxes are pretty high, apart from having to file taxes in the US, he probably won't actually have to pay anything to the US. I'm willing to good money that Sunak also has one more permanent residence permit. And that's an OCI card for India. His own Indian descent, ties to India and now his marriage to Akshata Murthy to me implies that there's an almost 100% chance he has that. Now call whatever conflict of interest you want on that. The prime minister of India even gave the sitting prime minister of Portugal an OCI card.

Quote Originally Posted by shree711:
    A green card is a permanent residence permit. Does not mean or imply any allegiance to the US. Given that ordinary British taxes are pretty high, apart from having to file taxes in the US, he probably won't actually have to pay anything to the US. I'm willing to good money that Sunak also has one more permanent residence permit. And that's an OCI card for India. His own Indian descent, ties to India and now his marriage to Akshata Murthy to me implies that there's an almost 100% chance he has that. Now call whatever conflict of interest you want on that. The prime minister of India even gave the sitting prime minister of Portugal an OCI card.
    Cool story. How hard is it to get the OCI card normally?
    https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...6i4yEh4WL.html

Cool story. How hard is it to get the OCI card normally?
    https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...6i4yEh4WL.html
    You need to have Indian ancestry (not necessarily ethnicity) and none of your ancestors should ever have chosen Pakistan. A little bit of proof is required. Tougher (but not impossible) if your ancestry is super old. If you, your parents or grandparents have held an Indian passport at any point, it makes the claim much easier if you can produce it.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14