Like Tree128Likes

September 2022 - Global Covid News & Issues

Reply
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinnie Jax:
    I wonder when harm from constant mask wearing accumulates (change in blood due to constant self-poisoning by carbon dioxide) - would there be a point when Govt considers harm from mask wearing > risk of catching virus.
    Uh... is this a thing? Because 1) carbon dioxide isn't poisonous and 2) this is exactly the kind of thing that the nutso anti-maskers that made global media years ago would spout.

    I dislike masks, and think they have some significant downsides, but lets not revisit frothing-at-the-mouth Fox News arguments from two years ago.

    Just as an anecdote, I was interested to see that my gym is about 50-60% mask-wearing. A fair number of people using T8 masks though, so they are only doing it for reasons of socially acceptable conformance. And some chunk of the surgical-mask-wearing population do the chin tuck during exercise.
    AsianXpat0 and Crankshaft like this.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    43,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinnie Jax:
    I wonder when harm from constant mask wearing accumulates (change in blood due to constant self-poisoning by carbon dioxide) - would there be a point when Govt considers harm from mask wearing > risk of catching virus.
    The biggest problem is social ... I have forgotten what some neighbours look like in our building as I only see them in the lifts. I would not recognise some service workers - wait staff, cleaners, postman etc if I ever saw them unmasked or out of their uniforms. Do kids even know what some of their teachers look like?

    List goes on ...

    CO2 ... a bit overrated.
    jgl and Grinnie Jax like this.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,535
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I was in Thailand when they dropped the mask mandate (indoors as well as outside, except crowded places). And no change. Came back a month later. No Change. Was there last week - no change. Still 100 percent wearing inside and about 90 percent outside. Ludicrous.
    Last Friday, Western Australia dropped the mask mandate on buses, trains, taxis, rideshares, and domestic flights. Now they are not mandatory anywhere outside of aged care, and almost nobody wears anywhere.

    With a city of 2m people, we averaged 6000 cases per day over the winter (June/July), but now is spring and dropped to around 1000 per day and we've decided to stop reporting now as well.

    The pandemic is not over yet, but the epidemic in Australia is basically over.

    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-...ease/101416436
    emx, shri, Trance Omega and 4 others like this.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Uh... is this a thing? Because 1) carbon dioxide isn't poisonous and 2) this is exactly the kind of thing that the nutso anti-maskers that made global media years ago would spout.
    I am not anti-masker per se, but you underestimate the effects from abnormal CO2 in the blood.

    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33923935/

    https://www.authorea.com/users/45550...scoping-review

    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...1393512200891X
    sjsa, Sage and Insomnia like this.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The biggest problem is social ... I have forgotten what some neighbours look like in our building as I only see them in the lifts. I would not recognise some service workers - wait staff, cleaners, postman etc if I ever saw them unmasked or out of their uniforms. Do kids even know what some of their teachers look like?

    List goes on ...

    CO2 ... a bit overrated.
    Not overrated, but indeed the negative impact on social skills of children, learning communicating, psychological effects - are really serious. I am seriously worried that my 2.5 yr.old daughter has never seen mask-less people on the streets.. or played with mask-less children.
    Last edited by Grinnie Jax; 13-09-2022 at 01:49 PM.
    tf19, Eamon92, shri and 2 others like this.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    868

    Good for WA. Joining the rest of the sensible, science-led world.

    Mrs. Jones likes this.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I was in Thailand when they dropped the mask mandate (indoors as well as outside, except crowded places). And no change. Came back a month later. No Change. Was there last week - no change. Still 100 percent wearing inside and about 90 percent outside. Ludicrous.
    Noticed the same when I was in Malaysia and Thailand a few months ago. Okay, relaxation was new, but I kept worrying about breaking some kinda law because everyone else around me was still wearing masks outside.

    If they have that mentality then you can be sure the brainwashed HK locals will NEVER stop wearing masks. Mask relaxation will have zero effect on these degenerates.
    qhank and Insomnia like this.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    Noticed the same when I was in Malaysia and Thailand a few months ago. Okay, relaxation was new, but I kept worrying about breaking some kinda law because everyone else around me was still wearing masks outside.

    If they have that mentality then you can be sure the brainwashed HK locals will NEVER stop wearing masks. Mask relaxation will have zero effect on these degenerates.
    Indeed, HKgers will keep wearing them forever. But I am waiting for legal right to remove the masks from myself and my children, I will do it on the very first day - and I will not even look at the people around. Enough is enough, now its complete madness and ruining mentally poor kids.
    Crankshaft and Mrs. Jones like this.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,710

    Here on day one from the news it is mixed. The most common seemed to be to have a mask somewhere under your chin, I guess for when going indoors.

    My sample of 3 (wife and two kids) is 100% still wearing masks.


  10. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinnie Jax:
    Indeed, HKgers will keep wearing them forever. But I am waiting for legal right to remove the masks from myself and my children
    Unfortunately we will still be waiting a very long time.

Reply
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast