Like Tree94Likes

Gender expression in schools

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I always found it strange that a very religious country is so accepting when it comes to sex life. Vice Ganda is probably the most revered TV person for example.

In France it's a bit similar, whatever you do with your private life is up to you. I believe in the UK and US it stems down from the purinatism. Except the US took it and multiplied it by 1000.
    No divorce (only country outside the Vatican), no abortion for any reason but as to gender anything goes. It is traditional and pre dates colonisation. In at least one language there is an ancient word for "a woman who used to be a man". The word " bakla" already covers all the letters LGBTQ whatever.

It is cultural rather than liberal.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mpbk:
    People can't even get their tattoos right. It's supposed to be "permanent", but lot of people regret and end up needing to cover it up. The result is a big blob of mess. I giggle when I see people with an entire arm blackened out. How many times did they regret? LOL
    Especially young people. Smart decision making not yet a thing.

But as bad as unwanted tattoos are, they are still a level away from getting your tits chopped off because of peer pressure
    Sage likes this.

I dont know how I feel about this...

I feel like there will be a lot of "new" issues that we dont expect. I am a bit more old fashioned when it comes to gender. I believe in equality and all people should be treated fairly. Including LGBT community.

However, the changes should be both fair to the non LGBT group as well. I wouldnt feel comfortable if I had a daughter in the same change room as a "self declared" female.

Hell, if I was in Highschool right now, id definitely want to walk into the girls locker room with a wig on and call myself a woman. What a time to be alive!

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    Especially young people. Smart decision making not yet a thing.

But as bad as unwanted tattoos are, they are still a level away from getting your tits chopped off because of peer pressure
    Exactly my point.
    As they say about having kids... Get a fish and then pets. If they survive, then move on to kids. Some of those parents definitely skipped some steps.
    Same with gender reassignment... Get a tattoo first before chopping off your d*ck. It's kinda permanent.

Do you really think people approach these decisions with the same attitude as getting a tattoo? Studies have shown that the percentage of people who regret their decision is very small compared to those who say it has changed their lives in a positive way.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8099405/

a broader question is - should cartoon show LGBT people kissing and making out?

https://www.ft.com/content/ee0c877a-...1-6a6ca0644e49

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    Do you really think people approach these decisions with the same attitude as getting a tattoo? Studies have shown that the percentage of people who regret their decision is very small compared to those who say it has changed their lives in a positive way.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8099405/
    Hmm... I would be automatically suspicious of any study that found 99% in favour of anything. Not saying that the majority of people who undergo surgery can't be happy, but saying that 1% or less experience 'regret' (for any major life changing decision) seems just odd.

I would not take anything from that study at face value without a much deeper understanding of how it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    Do you really think people approach these decisions with the same attitude as getting a tattoo?
    No, I don't think they do. But maybe they should.

This is not a single study but an analysis of 27 studies, pooling 7928 transgender patients, which makes the margin of error extremely low. Whether or not someone should regret according to your mores is a far more subjective survey of one.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    I dont know how I feel about this...

I feel like there will be a lot of "new" issues that we dont expect. I am a bit more old fashioned when it comes to gender. I believe in equality and all people should be treated fairly. Including LGBT community.

However, the changes should be both fair to the non LGBT group as well. I wouldnt feel comfortable if I had a daughter in the same change room as a "self declared" female.

Hell, if I was in Highschool right now, id definitely want to walk into the girls locker room with a wig on and call myself a woman. What a time to be alive!
    That says a lot about you. I am fine about boys going into the toilets with my daughter because she is fine about it. It is the boys I worry about, they are outnumbered 5:1 in her class.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast