Like Tree94Likes

Gender expression in schools

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    That says a lot about you. I am fine about boys going into the toilets with my daughter because she is fine about it. It is the boys I worry about, they are outnumbered 5:1 in her class.
    I don't think it does. I think it shows that he knows kids. Having taught 11 - 18 year olds for 30 years in know plenty that would think it 'fun' to sneak into a girl's toilet for 'a laugh' or something more sinister. Open plan unisex toilets are the way to do it. No where to hide.
    D.YU likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    all abuse should be watched out for, including that from predatory boys in unisex toilets. Not sure why one should be dismissed as hypotheticall. Isn't all assault hypothetical until it happens?
    Oh yes the problem must be the bathrooms... It would never happen otherwise

By the numbers: Sexual violence in high school | Al Jazeera America

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Yeah, I realise it was a meta-analysis. But anything that finds a 1% result is, to me, automatically suspect, if it's anything more complex than "would you like free money?"

Especially with the way they defined the two levels of regret which would fall into that one or sub-one percent within their study.

There's loads of fancy stats language in the writeup, which is frankly beyond what I can recall from my uni days, but that 1% figure just seems weird.

The meta study by the NIH even gives weights to what it considers good, fair and poor assessment tools used by the 27 independent studies. The 99% figure is reliable. Also, the Earth is not flat.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    Also, the Earth is not flat.
    Are you sure? There are groups of people on Reddit and Facebook that say it is

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    yes. informed consent is all that is needed. It's as much commerce in the US as it is medicine. Similar to plastic surgery. Where we are at:

https://twitter.com/robbystarbuck/st...03331page%3D31
    But is the USA representative of the world?

Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    Reddit forums...How scientific! What about Facebook groups and Twitter feeds? That's the place for real science isn't it... Peer pressure to be turned into someone that will suffer hate, intimidation, discrimination and still be marginalized. Yeah sure... The ease of getting medical intervention? First you have to see a mental health practitioner, then hormone therapy for quite a while and then maybe surgery. It also appears that the majority of people never go through full surgery after that... Sorry, I didn't get that from Facebook, you can find it on medical sites. Wow isn't just like going to get a tattoo after a drunken night out? There are millions of people that get plastic surgery, I hope you're as outraged by that... As I said, live and let live...

Funny on how conservatives are very much about choices and liberty when it comes to things like vaccines or guns and hate government interventions but when it comes to choices like these or abortion, all of a sudden it's ok to remove choices...
    Regardless of your dismissal of anecdotal evidence (I never claimed any scientific evidence), you are simply wrong on many matters.

- First you have to see a mental health practitioner, then hormone therapy for quite a while and then maybe surgery. - Nope. Informed consent is enough in most US states, especially if you are going private.
    - Wow isn't just like going to get a tattoo after a drunken night out? - as with science, nice straw man.
    - There are millions of people that get plastic surgery, I hope you're as outraged by that.. - sure if that plastic surgery is a double mastectomy at 16.
    - Funny on how conservatives - that's a huge - and in this case incorrect - assumption. Don't agree with me? You must be a conservative. Classy.

Oh yes the problem must be the bathrooms... It would never happen otherwise

By the numbers: Sexual violence in high school | Al Jazeera America
    Nice straw man. Missing the point, but that's to be expected

Are you sure? There are groups of people on Reddit and Facebook that say it is
    You really are pushing the straw man thing. Is this parody now?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I don't think it does. I think it shows that he knows kids. Having taught 11 - 18 year olds for 30 years in know plenty that would think it 'fun' to sneak into a girl's toilet for 'a laugh' or something more sinister. Open plan unisex toilets are the way to do it. No where to hide.
    And not be seen going in or out and no other girls around? Are these boys the ones who identify as female, remember that is what we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    But is the USA representative of the world?
    Not sure I said it was. Just gave an example of how easy it is to get surgery and that example happened to be in the US.

I've not looked into other countries. Could be easier, could be more restrictive.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast