Like Tree147Likes

British Monarchy - the Future

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast

literally had to stop posting one thread because of the toxic misogyny and laissez faire attitudes to rape and mutilation that goes mostly unchecked.
    Which one? Report the posts..

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    Not my problem you old reactionaries can find time to excuse an accused sex offender who paid off his alleged victim.
    Yes these are alleged accusations of paedophilia and yes a lump of cash was given. Whether he did or did not commit paedophilia is not something that should be in shouted about at a solemn public event - A breach of the peace. Would you expect it if someone accused you of a similar thing - He denies it as well but has a rich family to pay hush money.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    I follow it perfectly. Still makes no sense.
    Which part
    1) Democracy deficit
    2) Cost / value
    3) Dislike of silver spoon
    Last edited by East_coast; 15-09-2022 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Is anyone asking you to look up to him?

He holds a titular ceremonial role with no exercisable powers. The role could be performed by an inanimate object. The Mace, Sceptre or a lump of rock could easily become the titular head of state for the UK.

Not entirely true. The 'Queens consent' to become 'Kings consent' certainly embodies the crown with some ability to affect law making.

https://nationalpost.com/news/the-qu...t-the-guardian

I think the younger people do not care about the queen because they never saw her during her prime age. They also get paid less than the boomers in a world that is about to get more expensive and potentially more dangerous.

The royal family is like east enders for the boomers while the younger generation is trying to survive, so they mostly do not care.

When they see all that show of wealth they are a bit cynical about what is going on at the moment. All in all I see a different dissent in corporate world where boomers do not understand how to manage the new generation, but that's a different topic.

drumbrake and GentleGeorge like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I think the younger people do not care about the queen because they never saw her during her prime age. They also get paid less than the boomers in a world that is about to get more expensive and potentially more dangerous.

The royal family is like east enders for the boomers while the younger generation is trying to survive, so they mostly do not care.

When they see all that show of wealth they are a bit cynical about what is going on at the moment. All in all I see a different dissent in corporate world where boomers do not understand how to manage the new generation, but that's a different topic.
    There are some enormous generalisations in there. As was stated in the poll link I gave, the younger age group are more republican but goes on to say the same was true 30 years ago. 40 years ago I was 100% republican. Now I prefer a constitutional monarchy. So many of the republicans now will age into monarchists.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Not entirely true. The 'Queens consent' to become 'Kings consent' certainly embodies the crown with some ability to affect law making.

https://nationalpost.com/news/the-qu...t-the-guardian
    Given crown lands belong to the nation perhaps it is right that the function that overseas the administration gets to see the laws that affect it and can pass comment on them. But yes you are correct the King can comment on laws that affect the parts of the country they are a 'custodian' of.

$3B in tax revenues in the last 10 years from contracting out the service to a much more efficient long sighted 'firm' rather than often ill run local councils with short term election needs.

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    There are some enormous generalisations in there. As was stated in the poll link I gave, the younger age group are more republican but goes on to say the same was true 30 years ago. 40 years ago I was 100% republican. Now I prefer a constitutional monarchy. So many of the republicans now will age into monarchists.
    I expect you are richer than your parents were, and have a better quality of life than your parents. Will the same be true with today's younger generation? While history does repeat, it's not inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Given crown lands belong to the nation perhaps it is right that the function that overseas the administration gets to see the laws that affect it and can pass comment on them. But yes you are correct the King can comment on laws that affect the parts of the country they are a 'custodian' of.

$3B in tax revenues in the last 10 years from contracting out the service to a much more efficient long sighted 'firm' rather than often ill run local councils with short term election needs.

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk
    Yes, 'the firm' is very efficient in sacking staff even before the funeral.

Meanwhile in Australia, support for the monarchy has spiked to 60%. Tough times for republicans down under.

qhank and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Meanwhile in Australia, support for the monarchy has spiked to 60%. Tough times for republicans down under.
    Here in Australia we just like to make fun of king sausage fingers

Name:  Sausage.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  92.3 KB

https://twitter.com/pattica43199398/...YHAF6YPnx697-g

https://twitter.com/marthamarco_/sta...e8TGAoLxp2dRyA

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast