Like Tree136Likes

British Monarchy - the Future

Reply
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,218
    Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Put Canadian animals on the banknotes, much cooler- like Costa Rica:

    Attachment 87323
    Siure but that doesn't say much about PR, all those flora and fauna can also be found in adjacent countries, should be someone or something distinct about the nation/history.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Afaik there is no requirement for Canada to have the monarch on their money. Might be a good time to put some Canadians on.
    Just a long standing tradition, there are lots of other people who I'd like to see on the bill, such as Louis Riel, but it really doesn't matter. Ask me what I remember/learned about EU after several visits by way of its currency, nada. With electronic payments happening for a majority of transactions in most places we just don't come into contact with bills as much as we used to.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Beautiful Britain
    Posts
    1,985

    To bring it back to the original thread title - whilst I'd like to see the monarchy gone completely I don't think that is likely. There is a probably a majority support for one in the UK and if you have to have a head of state, one which isn't political is probably a good idea.

    I'd support a slimmed down monarchy, really just the King or Queen and partner with the rest getting proper jobs and leading normal lives.


  3. #33

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I'd support a slimmed down monarchy, really just the King or Queen and partner with the rest getting proper jobs and leading normal lives.
    That makes me wonder..how many "royals" are there? I mean, that receive a royal stipend from the state.

    (Disclaimer: I know nothing about UK royal family, hence the question)

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Taiwan and sometimes HK
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    That makes me wonder..how many "royals" are there? I mean, that receive a royal stipend from the state.

    (Disclaimer: I know nothing about UK royal family, hence the question)
    It's pretty complicated, this gives an overview:

    https://www.oprahdaily.com/entertain...-family-money/

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Beautiful Britain
    Posts
    1,985
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    That makes me wonder..how many "royals" are there? I mean, that receive a royal stipend from the state.

    (Disclaimer: I know nothing about UK royal family, hence the question)
    Even I (as a 60 yr old born and bred Englishman) do t really know. As Peng Chau says, it's complicated. I think it's really just the King (or Queen) that receives government funding but they have considerable inherited wealth which could be interpreted as 'public' money. Prince Charles had (now Prince William's ) the Duchy of Cornwall which is a considerable income and used to be non taxable.

    Of course there are considerable other costs (security etc) that are borne directly by the state.
    Last edited by Pauljoecoe; 10-09-2022 at 05:32 PM.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    22,426
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    That makes me wonder..how many "royals" are there? I mean, that receive a royal stipend from the state.

    (Disclaimer: I know nothing about UK royal family, hence the question)
    How much does a head of state cost would perhaps be a better question.

    The German office of the president costs taxpayers €30 million

    The British head of state costs £100 million of which ~£70 million is property maintenance.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,416
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    How much does a head of state cost would perhaps be a better question.

    The German office of the president costs taxpayers €30 million

    The British head of state costs £100 million of which ~£70 million is property maintenance.
    Nobody goes on holiday to see the German head of state or the pageantry that surrounds him or her. Then Royal family cost each Briton less than a pound a year….. far less than the tourist revenue they bring in.

    Great value for money I’d say.
    Paxbritannia and shri like this.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,248

    Those who question the role of the royal family are being accused to disrespect at this time. However, it seems to me that now is exactly the right time to ask these questions. Once Charles III is installed there will be no change, and when he dies we will be in the same situation again of it being the wrong time to ask these questions.


  9. #39

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    4,228
    Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Those who question the role of the royal family are being accused to disrespect at this time. However, it seems to me that now is exactly the right time to ask these questions. Once Charles III is installed there will be no change, and when he dies we will be in the same situation again of it being the wrong time to ask these questions.
    That is precisely why I started the future of the Monarchy thread which is where some of these posts should be. Republicans, like me, can separate out due respect from questions about the future.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Taiwan and sometimes HK
    Posts
    5,596

    It's like the Electoral College in the US- after every election where it messes things up vs. the popular vote (Bush, Trump), the US says "we really should do something about this" then does nothing to change it until it messes up the next election. Lather, rinse, and repeat...


Reply
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast