Like Tree136Likes

British Monarchy - the Future

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Nobody goes on holiday to see the German head of state or the pageantry that surrounds him or her.
    Well, it's very unlikely that anyone in the future would go on holiday to see...what, Charles scolding a valet to remove stuff from the table he is about to sit down at?

Or do you think people will eventually get to like him

EDIT: I was referring to this https://twitter.com/BBCLauraKT/statu...8y08vSBXA&s=19
    drumbrake and qhank like this.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Well, it's very unlikely that anyone in the future would go on holiday to see...what, Charles scolding a valet to remove stuff from the table he is about to sit down at?
    I was talking about Trooping the Colour, the Tower of London and the Crown Jewels, changing of the Guards, visiting Buckingham Palace and all that sort of stuff. Millions flock to these every year.
    East_coast and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Well, it's very unlikely that anyone in the future would go on holiday to see...
    To see the pomp and circumstance associated with the current private business that runs the head of state?

There will be plenty of people to watch I would suggest.

Or perhaps Nick Clegg would make a good head of state?

I was talking about Trooping the Colour, the Tower of London and the Crown Jewels, changing of the Guards, visiting Buckingham Palace and all that sort of stuff. Millions flock to these every year.
    10 million go to Versailles each year. There's no French royal family.

Nah, tourists come to see all the loot stolen from their own nations.

Name:  306343246_2348994535266158_4225087627527442841_n.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  74.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    10 million go to Versailles each year. There's no French royal family.
    Indeed 10 million in a year. It is good to visit with the parks being the most popular attraction. Don't the Royal Parks in London get ~60 million visitors per year?

Isn't the difference the pageantry such as the 17 million participated in the recent Jubilee over a weekend.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ty-events-poll
    Last edited by East_coast; 11-09-2022 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Indeed 10 million in a year. It is good to visit with the parks being the most popular attraction. Don't the Royal Parks in London get ~60 million visitors per year?
    When I lived in London (and when I visited this year), I went to one of the parks twice a day on average - to have a sandwich lunch, to have a walk, as a shortcut. I don't think that makes me a royalist - especially as I am only allowed to use the parks as a "grace and favour" from the Crown. As a public citizen I have no legal right to use these parks.

And, if the royal family were abolished tomorrow, the parks would remain and people would still visit them - legally as they would be taken under public ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    When I lived in London (and when I visited this year), I went to one of the parks twice a day on average - to have a sandwich lunch, to have a walk, as a shortcut. I don't think that makes me a royalist - especially as I am only allowed to use the parks as a "grace and favour" from the Crown. As a public citizen I have no legal right to use these parks.

And, if the royal family were abolished tomorrow, the parks would remain and people would still visit them - legally as they would be taken under public ownership.
    I was just drawing a parallel to the popularity of royal parks in London and Paris. The argument about Versailles is a wrongheaded argument as the numbers are much lower then London.

Your thoughts on the higher visitor numbers due to a head of state that is non-political and is adept at pageantry, pomp and titillation?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    To see the pomp and circumstance associated with the current private business that runs the head of state?

There will be plenty of people to watch I would suggest.

Or perhaps Nick Clegg would make a good head of state?
    I just learned what "Trooping the Colour" is. TIL indeed.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    It's like the Electoral College in the US- after every election where it messes things up vs. the popular vote (Bush, Trump), the US says "we really should do something about this" then does nothing to change it until it messes up the next election. Lather, rinse, and repeat...
    If the electoral college was very widely popular, a big draw card for tourism, trade and industry and a unique set up that had been running for a thousand years, then yes it'd be very much like the electoral college.

As it stands however there are many very good reasons why the Royal family still holds such power in the UK and globally and hence why it hasn't been overhauled.

Hint: It's nothing to do with the mechanisms of why the electoral college isn't addressed.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast