Like Tree28Likes

The Nord Superyacht Can Stay In HK

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Alexei Mordashov - 2nd richest man in Russia - he is the owner of the yacht.

If he is like the other oligarchs, half his wealth belongs to Putin.

Sanctioned because

According to the EU, Rossiya Bank, which Mordashov owns a financial stake in, is the "personal bank" of the senior officials who benefitted from the annexation of Crimea
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Mordashov

Ukraine vs Russia aside, what 'laws' or 'agreements' are being flouted by HK not seizing the yacht? The US & Co react a certain way, and the rest of the world has to follow? As others have intimated, HK is far from being the only ones not seizing Russian assets.

The UK even kindly allowed Abramovich to sell off Chelsea FC. The money is supposedly in accounts Abramovich can't touch, but I have reservations. Over 50 million USD was generated in commissions from the enforced sale.

The only person who could likely afford and desire to buy the ugly thing at auction is Putin.

China has publicly taken Russia's side so sorta expected.

We let them park whatever comes and at the end we pull a china on them and confiscate on grounds of money laundering..

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    HK should turn it into a restaurant and then auction it off.
    HK needs a floating shopping mall

The US are greedy hypocrites.

UAE being warned? Sanctions?

What's the difference?

OIL.

snjt likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    LOL. Probably now it’s the US who should ask themselves if they want preferential access to China.

I'm so jaded that I see this as the usual political fencing over media...US definitely knows no chance we would agree just because of china-russia but still the standard "warning", and then retort etc.

No idea how the outcome would be for ordinary course sanctions though..probably based on how pissed they are with each other depending on time of day like how countries always end up doing...

Original Post Deleted
    even the 50 cent army trolls have assets in the despicable USA and send their kids there for 'education'...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0y84Oi3VW8

Heck, even 8 suppliers / manufacturers that I know of deals with an Australian company now has now got foreign bank accounts and ask for US dollars to be deposited in those account, rather than their normal bank accounts in China Agriculture bank, etc. Aussie Co even offered to pay in yuan, as the local Australia banks made a big deal about being able to transfer in yuan. None of the suppliers want to be paid in yuan... Obviously they still have 110% faith in the system.

Regarding how Hong Kong banks respond to the sanctions, a spokesman for the HKMA said in response to our enquiry that under Hong Kong law, banks are not obliged to comply with unilateral sanctions imposed by foreign governments. The HKMA reminds banks from time to time to prudently assess and properly manage all relevant risks involved in business operations and endeavour to treat customers fairly.
    I don't think this is on the English site

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/ch/compone...6-20221012.htm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast