Like Tree64Likes

Oct 22 - "The next UK PM will be?"

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Rupulsive but I am not sure globalist is universally understood to be an anti-sematic term and was a weak argument to challenge the caller with.

I had no clue a globalist was an anti semitic term... Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I had no clue a globalist was an anti semitic term... Seriously.
    It's not so much that it's an antisemitic term - I'm not offended to hear it as such - but more that it's a code word used for those who don't really belong, those who have external loyalties. It was a slightly odd tangent for her, but I guess that she wanted to keep the language clean, particularly in that context.

It can be considered related to "rootless cosmopolitan" with a similar implication:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootless_cosmopolitan

I might be giving a bit too much weight to my own experience when venturing into the shires but I do think a large minority of the party membership hold pretty similar views to that caller. Maybe not all of them are quite as stupid (or overt with their stupidity) but there are enough of them who will never accept a brown person as british to make it a very big uphill struggle for Rishi, especially when up against Boris who is their rock star and easily forgiven cos he's just so lovable.

There's also a fair bit of truth in Rishi being a citizen of nowhere, and a fair few will hold that against him whether out of resentment or principle (and would hold the same view of most of us!).

Just because the rest of the nation has moved on (and I'm sure would vote Rishi if they were presented with the same choice) doesn't mean this small, self selecting group of party members has done so.

Boris seems to be leading reasonably convincingly in all credible polling so far. Could well become an enormous constitutional crisis if he does get banned from the commons.

As for globalist... FFS indeed.

hullexile likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I think the host did plenty to ridicule and destroy the caller's position which was clearly based on racism. I don't think he was being anti-sematic in any way and it would have been better to highlight the benefits of a globally aware leader rather than a little Englander.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Rupulsive but I am not sure globalist is universally understood to be an anti-sematic term and was a weak argument to challenge the caller with.
    I agree. It was an odd one. She handled the guy really well with calmness, intelligence and knowledge but clearly introduced a question into many people's minds. It was almost as though here was a new term that could be used to accuse someone of racism.

Quote Originally Posted by mpbk:
    Does being a UK PM entitle one to any lifelong benefit, significant (like a comfortable pension) or insignificant (like 24x7 secret service protection)?
    If not, why would any normal person want to take such hot potato, let alone fight for it?
    They do get an 'expenses allowence' up to £115k per year but also security protection which I wouldn't see as 'insignificant' especially when you add up the number of ex PM's still alive.

Original Post Deleted
    This?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast