Like Tree36Likes

Rishi Sunak - New UK PM

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Not sure attacking someone for being wealthy is a good tactic. It will enrage the easily engageable but the vast majority probably don't care so long as he not awful.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-fortune.html
    For the first time, conservatives and right wingers have also been attacking Sunak for his wealth and therefore his purported inability to connect with "Red Wall" voters. I'm curious how much of that wealth is his only versus his wife's wealth although technically, a couple's wealth is counted together.
    shri likes this.

isnt it 'good' that he is independently wealthy and therefore not beholden (as much) to external parties - lobbyists, people sponsoring holidays, paying for kitchen refurbishments etc?

I guess part of the argument is that he is too insulated from 'the poor', so as a well-educated person he just needs to ensure he surrounds himself with people who can advise him on this? all good in theory, I guess.

as for the non-dom thingy, I kind of think I'd be lairy of a chancellor that didnt minimise their tax burden by entirely legal means which he did not create. isnt that just fiscal prudence?

ndt and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    isnt it 'good' that he is independently wealthy and therefore not beholden (as much) to external parties - lobbyists, people sponsoring holidays, paying for kitchen refurbishments etc?
    That was what I was thinking.. is it better to be wealthy before you get political power or become wealthy because you have political power. Like Carrie he has had his problems with contactless payments... but I find more reason to be cautiously optimistic for the rest of 2022.

I used to visit a shanghainese tailor in HK who told me about 30 years ago... "I judge a man's wealth by his watch and his shoes" ... suffice to say, he is a lot wealthier than most of us here and there.
    huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    That was what I was thinking.. is it better to be wealthy before you get political power or become wealthy because you have political power. Like Carrie he has had his problems with contactless payments... but I find more reason to be cautiously optimistic for the rest of 2022.

I used to visit a shanghainese tailor in HK who told me about 30 years ago... "I judge a man's wealth by his watch and his shoes" ... suffice to say, he is a lot wealthier than most of us here and there.
    Certainly a lot better than Nancy Pelosi's wealth based on insider trading from congressional briefings.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Certainly a lot better than Nancy Pelosi's wealth based on insider trading from congressional briefings.
    And Trump's wealth from his scams and fraud.. Don't know why I engage.. but your setups are just perfect.

You may think his wealth puts him out of touch with the british people. But thats not the case at all, he knows the price of bread is increasing because he has a whole range of different breads in his house

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe...665fc0042ef047

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    I’m really surprised to hear you slagging off a Democrat!
    huja likes this.

(I already know what the trumpys are going to say...)

https://twitter.com/TLDRNewsUK/statu...kzAsfrYfEFbeqg

qhank and mrgoodkat like this.

Biden is a gaffe machine. He said "go figure" regarding conservatives electing Rishi Sunak, implying that conservatives cannot be expected to do that. 1. Labour has never had a non-white male leader 2. It's not really Biden's place to comment on what a political party in another country (especially an ally) does especially as a sitting leader.

shri and traineeinvestor like this.

Labour has never had a non-white male leader
    His name is Khan...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast