Like Tree36Likes

Rishi Sunak - New UK PM

Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,631
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    She was not born in India nor her parents.
    She had some unkind and misleading things to say about Indian immigrants last time round. A truly nasty piece of work, shame to see Sunak feels he needs her in Cabinet.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    22,690
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    She had some unkind and misleading things to say about Indian immigrants last time round. A truly nasty piece of work, shame to see Sunak feels he needs her in Cabinet.
    She does seem to be unpleasant

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,631
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    She does seem to be unpleasant
    Anti-Growth too. Easiest way to boost the UK economy is to increase immigration.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    22,690
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Anti-Growth too. Easiest way to boost the UK economy is to increase immigration.
    I believe she was anti illegal immigration rather than anti immigration

    More immigration was a Truss policy
    Paxbritannia likes this.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,631
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I believe she was anti illegal immigration rather than anti immigration
    No. She is anti-immigration. Please try to look these things up before you comment on them, it takes 30 seconds on Google. She wants to reduce legal immigration to a few tens of thousands/annum from the current 200k+.

    Direct quote from her

    "“I think we have got to definitely substantially reduce the number of students, the number of work visas and in particular the number of dependants on those sorts of visas,” she said."

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    44,495
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    She was not born in India nor her parents.
    So? She qualifies for an OCI card - goes back all the way to great-grandparents.


    Name:  Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 2.42.53 PM.png
Views: 118
Size:  8.7 KB

    Her premature ministerial-obit has a fair bit in its summary...

    It was not Braverman’s first unexpected intervention. At Conservative party conference, she revived calls for the government to aim for net migration of “tens of thousands” – a goal which remained out of reach for nine years under the governments of David Cameron and Boris Johnson.
    In an interview with the Spectator, Braverman expressed “reservations” about the multibillion-pound trade deal with the Indian government because she was concerned about making it easier for Indians to work and study in the UK. No 10 rowed back from her claim.
    At Conservative party conference, Braverman told delegates it was her “dream” and “obsession” that one day she would as home secretary see a flight take off to Rwanda carrying people seeking refuge in the UK.
    Unfortunately ... as The Guardian puts it .. this might all be CV building to become the next PM. May be in early 2023? When the Brits go .. we tried a woman, we tried an Indian as PM ... now lets try an Indian woman.

    “Not only have we broken key pledges that were promised to our voters, but I have had serious concerns about this government’s commitment to honouring manifesto commitments, such as reducing overall migration numbers and stopping illegal migration, particularly the dangerous small boats crossings,” she wrote.


    Those criticisms, contained in her last act as the 43-day home secretary, may well form the basis of another Braverman leadership bid in the near future.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...an-home-office
    Last edited by shri; 26-10-2022 at 02:55 PM.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,631
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Unfortunately ... as The Guardian puts it .. this might all be CV building to become the next PM.
    She's far too far right to become PM. Way to the right of even Liz Truss who self-imploded and set the clock back years for anyone to try this sort of political gambit again.

    I hope Sunak will reshuffle her to a lower status job if he manages to get his feet under the table.
    East_coast likes this.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    22,690
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    So? She qualifies for an OCI card - goes back all the way to great-grandparents.
    If she gives up her current nationality to become Indian that would be an issue. I am sure many many British people have unclaimed rights in other countries. Mr Johnson could claim a Turkish Passport and Ian Duncan Smith Japanese using the same criteria.

    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Name:  Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 2.42.53 PM.png
Views: 118
Size:  8.7 KB

    Her premature ministerial-obit has a fair bit in its summary...


    Unfortunately ... as The Guardian puts it .. this might all be CV building to become the next PM. May be in early 2023? When the Brits go .. we tried a woman, we tried an Indian as PM ... now lets try an Indian woman.



    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...an-home-office
    That sounds like casual / lazy racism. The front benches of the conservative party have been multi-ethnic for sometime. The issue is her politics not her ethnicity. It really is just probability
    Last edited by East_coast; 26-10-2022 at 03:39 PM.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    22,690
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    She's far too far right to become PM. Way to the right of even Liz Truss who self-imploded and set the clock back years for anyone to try this sort of political gambit again.

    I hope Sunak will reshuffle her to a lower status job if he manages to get his feet under the table.
    I would hope it was an appeasement task for the socially right wing factions in the party and as soon as he can he should drop her.
    TheBrit likes this.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    44,495

    There is nothing casual or lazy when I label some people as disgraceful.

    I am going to be lazy and casually walk out of this thread... have said what I needed to and wanted to.

    Last edited by shri; 26-10-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast