Like Tree156Likes

World Cup in Qatar - The sideshow or the main event?

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    That's not a protest at all, not playing would be, this is just virtue signalling.
    I would probably suggest virtue signaling is when a symbolic action is taken with almost certainly no ramifications to the action except assured positive publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I would probably suggest virtue signaling is when a symbolic action is taken with almost certainly no ramifications to the action except assured positive publicity.
    Why? Do you feel people should only be allowed to speak out about things is there is a negative cost to them, otherwise you brand them with loaded negative terms?

You seem to do a lot of virtue signaling against the HK Government here using your definition.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Why?
    Probably because I like my own definitions

CNN: UK foreign secretary under fire for saying LGBT soccer fans should be "respectful" at Qatar World Cup.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/27/footb...ntl/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    CNN: UK foreign secretary under fire for saying LGBT soccer fans should be "respectful" at Qatar World Cup.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/27/footb...ntl/index.html
    As usual the fucking liberals jump on the bandwagon. I’ll bet none of them have bothered to read either of the below. It is obviously distasteful put against current western liberalism but I have new for you Qatar is not the western world it’s an Islamic state. Read the rules on intimacy of any kind in public and dress code. Dubai was no different apart from the application of the law.

Quite frankly if people want to rainbow dress and hold hands in public in Qatar then I will be giving zero fucks for any of the consequences of those actions.

The time for protest was at the time of the appointment or when it became widespread knowledge of the shocking death toll of migrant construction workers. Guess what Dubai has that same issue.

Football authorities, both national and international put $ before anything else and continue to do so. Football fans will tut-tut but tune in in their billions.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...ws-and-customs

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/lesbian-...-travel-advice
    shri, qhank and tparker like this.

I buy the argument of respecting the country and values system you are in to a point, but not with states like Qatar where only c. 10% of the settled population is Qatari. Even less so where a significant chunk of that 10% make a run for Bahrain every Thursday night to do all the things normal people like to do on the weekend.

They are running a money printing operation in the desert staffed by international expat/immigrant labour across the full spectrum of the income scale. Calling out all sorts of disagreements with how they are running it feels very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    t is obviously distasteful put against current western liberalism but I have new for you Qatar is not the western world it’s an Islamic state.
    Do you think it's ok for human rights abuses to be perpetrated in the name of religion?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Do you think it's ok for human rights abuses to be perpetrated in the name of religion?
    Human rights abuses are not ok for any reason. However .. local laws.

The US and many other countries have warnings associated with HK and China too... the UK Foreign Sec's advice is in line with that I think - you break the local law, you deal with it on your own dime.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    As usual the fucking liberals jump on the bandwagon. I’ll bet none of them have bothered to read either of the below. It is obviously distasteful put against current western liberalism but I have new for you Qatar is not the western world it’s an Islamic state. Read the rules on intimacy of any kind in public and dress code. Dubai was no different apart from the application of the law.

Quite frankly if people want to rainbow dress and hold hands in public in Qatar then I will be giving zero fucks for any of the consequences of those actions.

The time for protest was at the time of the appointment or when it became widespread knowledge of the shocking death toll of migrant construction workers. Guess what Dubai has that same issue.

Football authorities, both national and international put $ before anything else and continue to do so. Football fans will tut-tut but tune in in their billions.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...ws-and-customs

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/lesbian-...-travel-advice
    Point missed. Goal kick awarded. Those "fucking liberals" don't need to read the links you have posted because those links are irrelevant.

The arguments are not about Qatar as a country, but Qatar as a World Cup host and the obligation it has as host to respect the values of FIFA, which include acceptance and inclusion of LGB fans. This isn't up for debate.

Nice though that you wouldn't have a problem with Qatar locking up gay football fans for having the temerity to not go back inside the closet. Showing your class.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Human rights abuses are not ok for any reason. However .. local laws.

The US and many other countries have warnings associated with HK and China too... the UK Foreign Sec's advice is in line with that I think - you break the local law, you deal with it on your own dime.
    See above. This has very little to do with Qatar's laws and everything to do with the promises it made to FIFA when awarded host nation status.

(I should add I don't for a second think Qatar should have been awarded the World Cup, but that is a separate argument)

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast