Like Tree116Likes

World Cup in Qatar - The sideshow or the main event?

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

"At Fifa, we try to respect all opinions and beliefs, without handing out moral lessons to the rest of the world. No one people or culture or nation is "better" than any other. This principle is the very foundation stone of mutual respect and non-discrimination.”

What a bunch of spineless shits.

Original Post Deleted
    Adidas?? What kind of conspiracy theory is that?
    East_coast likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    To be honest I’d love to see FIFA blown up entirely and replaced by a new organization, with proper levels of disclosure, transparency and democracy. Cycle the World Cup through pre-defined blocks, maybe the Americas, Africa, Europe and Asia (inc Australia/NZ) take it in turns to host.

Better scrap and rebuild than try to fix the endemic corruption within the existing structures. It would be perfect if a failure in Qatar was the catalyst.
    Sith likes this.

I don’t tend to watch non England games. If I’m at a bar and it’s on that’s different. I think there’s broad agreement that these finals are distasteful (to say the very least) given that there seems little willingness for change. The world’s eyes will be upon them. You’d like to think there will have been some diplomatic behind the scenes pressure but frankly I can’t see that resulting in more than lip service.

I’ll happily give the group stages a miss. But I strongly suspect all moral fibre will go out of the window (mine included) if we make it to the QFs

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    I do hope the press don't push players for a cheap soundbite. They are representing their countries not themselves. They had very limited choice on to go or not to go. The FA said they were going so it would take a very strong moral conviction not to go. I have not heard of one of the ~3000 players or staff suggest a personal boycott was justified.

All questions about human rights to players should be politely declined from answering and redirected to their national football body and FIFA.

I've not met anyone that is excited about this World Cup, and it has little to do with ethical questions. Let's face it, FIFA, the IOC, etc., let that boat sail many years ago.

More to do with having a World Cup mid-season in November/December in a sterile environment. Most people I know are just waiting for it to end so they can get to the Boxing Day.

Quicker it ends, the better. Hate international football anyway. Standard is generally awful.

I rem 2006. The quarterfinals penalty shootout btw Germany v Argentina and Zidane and his headbutt. I'm the opposite, I don't really watch unless it's the World Cup - the only football event I watch, from when Maradona was THE guy until 2014 (brazil 1: ger 7). Haven't been able to bring myself to watch since..

Sounds like FIFA has a shitty record. I def disagree with them abt this:

the letter urges that football should not be "dragged" into ideological or political "battles" and it should not be "handing out moral lessons"
    Voicing concern for migrant workers welfare in relation to World Cup infrastructure that the teams will be using - how is this ideology or politics or moral high ground. Stupid FIFA >.<

I think everyone should just ban themselves from using the term human rights gay rights civil rights (whatever) rights and say what they want in plain eng. It has become nothing but a huge nuisance and immediately clouds the issue. Just a pain in the neck now, no other benefit. Plain eng w/o the lofty terms is perfectly doable, like Denmark's response

Denmark will wear "toned-down" shirts to protest against Qatar, with kit provider Hummel saying it "does not wish to be visible" in a tournament it claims "has cost thousands of lives".

Aussies v ambitious and went a few steps further by shouting out for lgbt(qi+) rights hah but tbh I didn't mind that :p

I would not pass the 'cricket test'. I tend to favour other countries over England particularly if the preamble was overly partisan and full of hubris (which is always). Zlatan's bicycle kick? Excellent. Gazza crying. Quite funny.

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    I would not pass the 'cricket test'. I tend to favour other countries over England particularly if the preamble was overly partisan and full of hubris (which is always). Zlatan's bicycle kick? Excellent. Gazza crying. Quite funny.
    Doesn't help that England under that dummy failed club manager Southgate are passionately dull to watch.

I'll be cheering Iran.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast