Like Tree1Likes

Chinese Secret "Police Service Stations" ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    I will never understand why China thinks this is worthwhile in any way for the nation, I just lolcry at them. I think China is still a dump of a country even after enjoying several decades of sole control by a single party on a gigantic piece of land w food and rare earth minerals and a 1bn workforce precisely bcos it prioritizes all its time and resources doing dumb shit like this, harrassing dissidents and giving its own citizens a hard time for inconsequential nonsense..

Ppl always give me flak when I scoff at China economy, say CCP has done a lot, made huge advancement in a short time. No they haven't. Not even close - I'm not biased, my standards are just normal (not low). The advancement they've made would have happened anyway naturally with the passing of time under any political party or even none.. so when I factor all the other "advantages" avail to them, the speed of advancement is slow as hell like a mf..������
    Well it's hard to argue that China is not a dump however I'm not sure that countries with that kind of population can be otherwise. If you look at the progress of India(pretending to be a democracy) and Indonesia(also trying to appear more democratic) or even Russia, they are hardly success stories. It's easy to hate the Chinese government but their place in the world is vastly different than it was in the 60s and 70s and the lives of many of their citizens have improved a fair bit. Of course, it's easier to improve if it's hell and it could have improved more with better governance but it could also clearly have been worse had it retained hard line communism(NK being the perfect example of worse). I'd also argue that corruption and pouring money into grandiose projects and their military holds them back far more than harassing dissidents and oppressing minorities.

Falling standards..

The pitfall that everyone esp china and china supporters themselves can't seem to avoid and keep swimming in - they think ppl who aren't voting for them must be jealous (success story bla bla) or supporters of enemy factions (democracy bla bla). Not me, and I am frankly just tired of mentally making excuses for China, Prc ppl and anyone who aligns with them just so their behaviour looks less moronic and can pass for the human decent sort. The gov is useless imo if the ppl can actually fare better net by fending for themselves govless. It's useless in any universe so comparing it to NK to make it look useful doesn't make me feel better abt it..

corruption and pouring money into grandiose projects and their miltary holds them back far more than harrassing dissidents and oppressing minorities
    Disagree la but not something we need to agree or argue . The state managed corruption which incl all dem SOEs and nonSOEs making themselves a household name globally, issuing bonds (and defaulting on them), stock exchange stock connect, glitzing up sz, shanghai, BJ olympics etc. Basically all outward external expansions to the world was only possible thru the state managed corruption and the state ego. The glamour version of China to show the world it is a v global and rule of law place and doesn't only have doorless squatting toilets. Indo or India never did this on such a scale other than the ad hoc drive to attract foreign investors that all countries do bcos their governments (whoever it was in power) never thot it was needed or No 1 priority for the country. This despite Indo having a terrible rep globally for ages as a country where corruption is not a glitch but a feature ie the way of life. Why this is the case.. Seriously. It's bcos they incl gov, politicians and regular folk never behaved in a such a way and consistently so that they now have a reputation out there to fix. A reputation they keep thinking they have already fixed bcos they have checked off all the criteria on their reference list of things to do so that other countries will see China as credible and nice.. A rep that would function just perfect if these damned dissidents and stupid minorities just stop yapping abt it to foreign press and ruining it for poor China. I really think this is an area NK is miles ahead of China bcos they just kill their dissidents? Swiftly and quickly first chance they get pronto. They don't go around doing inane things like wasting state $ on renting out offices and threatening dissidents to say only nice things going forward. Or wail to the press abt how evil the west is every single time. I was so happy with Qatar's public reaction to the World Cup issue bcos I just kept thhinking omg china pls learn from them. This is how a more cultured less petulant gov and people responds to criticism. Yep, falling standards I know..

Not Xi supporter but at least he knows what the issue is (he said something abt this in last speech). Problem is he doesn't get the depth of it and was never keen to fix it anyway - just a varnish will do for the pesky irritating ppl out there who think they're morally better and nicer ppl..
    Last edited by sarsi; 09-11-2022 at 10:04 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2