Like Tree10Likes

World Sports - Hosting Criteria

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien-F:
    Lucky you’re not in charge, Japan would have never obtained the Rugby world cup with that kind of logic
    Rugby has become moderately popular in Japan in the last decade though. They are ranked 10th in the world, have been to every world cup since inception (granted, not as many nations care about rugby as soccer) and many players from the big Southern Hemisphere rugby nations play their club rugby there.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    Rugby has become moderately popular in Japan in the last decade though. They are ranked 10th in the world, have been to every world cup since inception (granted, not as many nations care about rugby as soccer) and many players from the big Southern Hemisphere rugby nations play their club rugby there.
    Alright I agree with you it’s not and ideal place for a WC, and Qatar team is rubbish and no history in world cup, but football is hugely popular in the Arab world and the Gulf, who are we to tell them they don’t have the right to host a World Cup?
    they won the vote in a dirty way with bribing just like Germany and South Africa have done it before..

This debate I am afraid is pretty much the western world vs rest of the world…no such rainbow armband or boycott debate among African, Asian, and South American teams and population

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien-F:
    Lucky you’re not in charge, Japan would have never obtained the Rugby world cup with that kind of logic
    I haven't a clue about Rugby - was it a good thing to have it in Japan? Do they play Rugby in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I haven't a clue about Rugby - was it a good thing to have it in Japan? Do they play Rugby in Japan?
    as Crankshaft said it is moderately popular
    Was definitely a good thing for rugby which really needs to expand

The World Cup and Olympics are expensive without much gain outside of "prestige". Makes sense that the hosts are countries with questionable governments where the population can't easily influence how their tax dollars are being spend.

Crankshaft and East_coast like this.

Look up the murder rate in CDMX vs many American cities. I love Mexico and it makes a hell of a lot more sense to host a World Cup match there than in Qatar. They have a decent team and the country is very passionate for the game. While it may not be ideal for the tourists, I like the idea of spreading the matches(and the cost) around North America. I'm sure there will be problems and critics but that's always going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Makes sense that the hosts are countries with questionable governments where the population can't easily influence how their tax dollars are being spend.
    What countries do you think the population has enough control over the Government spending to nix an Olympic bid?
    East_coast likes this.

Worth pointing out that if Qatar bribed its way to the WC for positive PR reasons, it has backfired.

Yes, there's some football matches taking place but the dominant conversations have all been around how bad Qatar is.

Read a report today that quite a senior Qatari official saying the whole thing has been a massive waste of money and he can't wait for it to end

Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    Look up the murder rate in CDMX vs many American cities. I love Mexico and it makes a hell of a lot more sense to host a World Cup match there than in Qatar. They have a decent team and the country is very passionate for the game. While it may not be ideal for the tourists, I like the idea of spreading the matches(and the cost) around North America. I'm sure there will be problems and critics but that's always going to happen.
    Great points. Extremely passionate fans. Amazing country, very friendly and welcoming people, great food, etc, etc.

I like the idea of the World Cup in Mexico or places like Argentina and Brazil. Or including other South / Central American countries in the mix.

England hasn't hosted in almost 60 years. They most certainly have the fans, the passion, and word class facilities with zero work needed on the stadiums.

World Sports - Hosting Criteria -----> $$$$$$$$$$

hongkongmusic likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast