Like Tree10Likes

World Sports - Hosting Criteria

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    What countries do you think the population has enough control over the Government spending to nix an Olympic bid?
    Germany for example. In 2015 the citizens of Hamburg voted to withdraw their bid for 2024.
    Or Austria, they voted against hosting in 1993, 1997 and 2017.
    Hungary also withdraw their bid for 2026 after a campaign against it in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    What about just putting the world cup football on in countries where football is a major sport and has lots of fans. I wouldn't expect them to put a major baseball tournament on in the UK.
    Not a good idea.
    I think football was not a big thing in J-pan or Korea twenty years ago.
    20 years later there are many Japanese players in Bundesliga.
    I doubt this would have happened without 2002
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Not a good idea.
    This is the key point. Spreading the game to become globally dominant. Zero benefit to FIFA to host it in Italy or England. Handing it to a small city state was a terrible idea it should have gone to a few of the smaller Middle East countries such as Bahrain, Kuwait, UAE and Qatar. That ma have done more for regional progress to normalize as they competed for visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Not a good idea.
    Well depends on what people want to achieve. If it's all about growing the sport into new areas, taking over the world and for FIFA to make even more millions then that might be a good idea. If it's about putting on a good, affordable and accessible show for western football fans then that's another matter.

Formula 1 has gone down the world domination route and it's been great for the pockets of the organisers and participants. Not so great for the real fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Well depends on what people want to achieve. If it's all about growing the sport into new areas, taking over the world and for FIFA to make even more millions then that might be a good idea. If it's about putting on a good, affordable and accessible show for western football fans then that's another matter.

Formula 1 has gone down the world domination route and it's been great for the pockets of the organisers and participants. Not so great for the real fans.
    It’s called World Cup, not Western World Cup

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3