Like Tree10Likes

World Sports - Hosting Criteria

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

World Sports - Hosting Criteria

Some of the matches in the next World Cup are in Mexico. Beautiful country with amazing people, but again a rotten political system and 34,000 murders in 2021. Not sure what my point is. Just throwing it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongmusic:
    Some of the matches in the next World Cup are in Mexico. Beautiful country with amazing people, but again a rotten political system and 34,000 murders in 2021. Not sure what my point is. Just throwing it out there.
    All countries have problems, no question.

But there are levels, and when an estimated 6000 low paid migrant workers have died building the very stadiums that the matches will take place in, that's a different level.

BTW, respect to the Iranian players and supporters.
    aw451 and Beanieskis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    All countries have problems, no question.

But there are levels, and when an estimated 6000 low paid migrant workers have died building the very stadiums that the matches will take place in, that's a different level.

BTW, respect to the Iranian players and supporters.
    You're right.

Not sure how I feel about it all. China has now hosted the Olympics twice as well as Russia. Clean human rights records? Far from it. Horrible crimes committed and continue to be committed by both.

2029 Asian Winter games are in Saudi Arabia. Barbaric regime in a desert & will surely be an ecological disaster.

Perhaps all tournaments should be held in fully developed countries with governments that have basic morals so we can all just enjoy the sport.

You're right.

Not sure how I feel about it all. China has now hosted the Olympics twice as well as Russia. Clean human rights records? Far from it. Horrible crimes committed and continue to be committed by both.

2029 Asian Winter games are in Saudi Arabia. Barbaric regime in a desert & will surely be an ecological disaster.

Perhaps all tournaments should be held in fully developed countries with governments that have basic morals so we can all just enjoy the sport.
    "fully developped countries…with basic morals"

Alright what’s the list then ? Every single country on this planet has some dirt.
    just watched FIFA uncovered on netflix, really interesting and good documentary, except they conveniently forgot the part where Germany also bought some votes for 2006 World Cup

But sure western countries only should be allowed to host major sport events…

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien-F:

Alright what’s the list then ? Every single country on this planet has some dirt.
    just watched FIFA uncovered on netflix, really interesting and good documentary, except they conveniently forgot the part where Germany also bought some votes for 2006 World Cup

Well really England should just host every World Cup.

What about just putting the world cup football on in countries where football is a major sport and has lots of fans. I wouldn't expect them to put a major baseball tournament on in the UK.
    Crankshaft and Elegiaque like this.

You said Western. Not me. You're essentially arguing with yourself.

Every single country? Not convinced. Sure, in the past many, not all, countries have commited human rights violations especially during times of war, but plenty of countries in the world currently right now are run by decent human beings, not murderous dictatorships (China, Russia, Qatar, Saudi).

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    What about just putting the world cup football on in countries where football is a major sport and has lots of fans. I wouldn't expect them to put a major baseball tournament on in the UK.

Lucky you’re not in charge, Japan would have never obtained the Rugby world cup with that kind of logic

You said Western. Not me. You're essentially arguing with yourself.

Every single country? Not convinced. Sure, in the past many, not all, countries have commited human rights violations especially during times of war, but plenty of countries in the world currently right now are run by decent human beings, not murderous dictatorships (China, Russia, Qatar, Saudi).
    Your manichean view of the world is very cute

More seriously though you should make a list of nice countries and bad ones that you can update every month or so…Italy just elected a far right government, i guess they suddenly become a bad evil country?

Your manichean view of the world is very cute

More seriously though you should make a list of nice countries and bad ones that you can update every month or so…Italy just elected a far right government, i guess they suddenly become a bad evil country?
    Murderous & barbaric dictatorships, not democratically elected governments such as Italy with a certain level of corruption. There's quite a difference.

But, you think in extremes.

Enjoy tonight's matches.
    Crankshaft likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast