Like Tree83Likes

Russia / Ukraine War - 2023 News and Issues

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by snjt:
    Can't tell if the countries' reaction to China's 12-point paper was for real or the usual political fencing. The only one with their head slightly screwed on is EU.

EU - "it is not a peace plan.. You have to see them against a specific backdrop, and that is the backdrop that China has already taken sides by signing, for example, anunlimited friendship right before the invasion

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    Can't tell if the countries' reaction to China's 12-point paper was for real or the usual political fencing. The only one with their head slightly screwed on is EU.
    These seems to be a common response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IToY-Ef_AVQ

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    FFS

For twelve months everybody has been badgering China to come out with a peace plan. Now it does and the EU is like "this isn't the peace plan we're looking for"

Obviously China won't win many friends on the message boards of GeoExpat with this proposal, but I have a suspicion they are looking slightly further away and at a slightly larger audience

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    FFS

For twelve months everybody has been badgering China to come out with a peace plan. Now it does and the EU is like "this isn't the peace plan we're looking for"

Obviously China won't win many friends on the message boards of GeoExpat with this proposal, but I have a suspicion they are looking slightly further away and at a slightly larger audience
    Everybody = those countries who reacted? This is why I can't tell if their reactions are for real or usual political fencing but if that was the prelude then it makes sense why I thought their reactions are >.< I wouldn't even be asking China for a peace plan abt this in the first place or really expecting them to be advising Russia to withdraw. And in any event, Kyiv and Moscow to have peace talks. Kyiv has already declared it won't so if others were seriously expecting China of all countries to turn this around.. we are doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    FFS

It is called a peace plan but doesn't look like a peace plan. It looks like a ceasefire plan which would not really benefit one of the belligerents but would benefit the other.

Both sides seem to have their hands full so my guess/hope is focus won't change to Belarus any time soon.

I think the only real change in all the world conflicts in my lifetime is Berlin Wall coming down. All others remain unresolved without any real progress. Is Putin's greater russia because he's anti-Nato or he thinks he's just being anti-aggro Nato. Is Nato pro-Ukr because they are being anti-Russia or because they think Putin's greater russia is aggro-take-over-the-whole-world. Sometimes I can't really tell because factchecking this goes nowhere and media, reflecting most of the world's stance on this, is supporting Ukr. So dragging on seems to be inevitable outcome.

China's 12-point peace plan sounds like group project from primary school, granted, without any help from the teacher.

A position paper rehashing old rhetoric is a peace plan about as much as creating islands while refusing to sell available land for cheaper and building temporary accommodation is a solution for the housing crisis.

The thing in common may be indeed “looking slightly further away and at a slightly larger audience”.

Strange and unfair hardly anyone who knows better is full of praise for both?

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    A position paper rehashing old rhetoric is a peace plan about as much as creating islands while refusing to sell available land for cheaper and building temporary accommodation is a solution for the housing crisis.

The thing in common may be indeed “looking slightly further away and at a slightly larger audience”.

Strange and unfair hardly anyone who knows better is full of praise for both?
    This article suggests the 12 point plan is for the domestic Chinese so they (with their limited access to news) feel Mr Xi is a global statesman independently brokering peace against western aggressors who support war etc.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsl...war-next-china

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    This article suggests the 12 point plan is for the domestic Chinese so they (with their limited access to news) feel Mr Xi is a global statesman independently brokering peace against western aggressors who support war etc
    But it's Ministry of Foreign Affairs so my guess is to all, domestic and foreign. Btw I am completely out of sync on this with everyone who assumes this on off for China. They have state censorship and need VPN. They will get around it if needed. There is no more real tech barrier to info comm. Ignorance in this era is really strictly a matter of indifference or apathy. They plead this on behalf of the rest of their ppl in provinces whenever they need to eg the covid protests when they asked others to help raise awareness with videos online.

Not same focus but..

https://www.reuters.com/world/china-...us-2023-02-24/

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast