Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shri

Decongestant Phenylephrine - Does not work...

Closed Thread

Decongestant Phenylephrine - Does not work...

Common ingredient in Benadryl, Mucinex, Sudafed PE and Tylenol

Was a bit surprised that no one around me was aware of this..

An advisory panel spent two days looking at studies of phenylephrine, an active ingredient in well-known medicines including Benadryl, Mucinex, Sudafed PE and Tylenol, and reported to the FDA that it is no more effective than a placebo.

The announcement raises the likelihood of the medicines disappearing from shelves this fall while manufacturers scramble to formulate alternative formulas without it, according to the New York Times, which first reported the development.
    But multiple studies assessed by the FDA’s non-prescription drugs advisory committee found that it is destroyed in the gut, making it useless when taken orally, whether in tablet, capsule or liquid form.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-phenylephrine

Hmm interesting... that's about the only reason I keep paying for Lemsip and Beechams over just plain paracetamol. The placebo effect is good as I'm pretty sure it does decongest me!

Time to push next generation EXPENSIVE decongestant, old one was ineffective, have many side effects bla bla... Medical claims against certain highly penetrated generics are laughable just like first generation antaacids vs new gen Omeprazole and its variants..

@ndt - Generic Zantac is back in India (not sure if they ever withdrew it...). The guy in Kennedy Town gets heart attacks and points me to 20 websites and tells me I'll get cancer..

ndt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @ndt - Generic Zantac is back in India (not sure if they ever withdrew it...). The guy in Kennedy Town gets heart attacks and points me to 20 websites and tells me I'll get cancer..
    Haha my Granny literally survived on it and Cimitidine till her mid 90s, no other health issue till her health eventually detereorated due to advanced age..

History of Zantac removal by FDA.. I suspect Indian Govt's strong push for generics at affordable rate might have something to do with it..

https://www.drugwatch.com/zantac/rec...ing%20chemical.