Like Tree15Likes

Kissinger dies at 100

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I sent my mother the YouTube link to the Kissenger song as it was, in fact, my parents who gave me the Monty Python album for...Christmas, clearly oblivious to its content.

She replied, "I don't care, all I know is that he kept my sons out of Viet Nam."

So, to many Americans, this is all that matters, I am well aware of this sentiment. My mother is kind of a "my country, right or wrong" person...

shri likes this.

Anthony Bourdain was clear about his opinion of Kissinger.

Name:  bourdain.jpeg
Views: 112
Size:  387.1 KB

hullexile, bdw and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    So, to many Americans, this is all that matters, I am well aware of this sentiment. My mother is kind of a "my country, right or wrong" person...
    He did well for a lot of US companies and their stocks too.

From the Washington Post yesterday:

From 1969 to 1973, as national security adviser and secretary of state under President Richard M. Nixon, Kissinger directed the carpet bombing of large swaths of Cambodia that U.S. officials at the time claimed were sanctuaries for communist insurgents from South Vietnam as well as North Vietnamese soldiers… Ben Kiernan, a historian at Yale University and a leading scholar of the U.S. legacy in Cambodia, has estimated that around 500,000 tons of U.S. bombs were dropped on Cambodia during this period and killed as many as 150,000 civilians.
    The singer changes but the song remains the same...

From [1969 to 1973] October 7 to November 24 … [Kissinger] Netanyahu directed the carpet bombing of large swaths of [Cambodia] Gaza that [U.S.] Israeli officials at the time claimed were sanctuaries for [communist insurgents from South Vietnam] Hamas as well as terrorists [North Vietnamese soldiers]… It has been estimated that around [500,000] 40,000 tons of U.S. bombs were dropped on [Cambodia] Gaza during this period and killed as many as 150,00[0] civilians.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2