Like Tree5Likes

NHS: Pros / Cons / Benefits Etc...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by becomjapanHK:
    Sure.....but the NHS management of funds relating to health outcomes is already pretty terrible. If I was a UK taxpayer I would be pretty resentful of the huge inefficiencies of the use of funds in general.....looking at the roads, nfs and other parts of the infrastructure, everything seems to be falling apart...

.....even this week there seems to be reports of thousands of needless deaths due to A&E waiting times.......
    Down 17 per week on 2022. It has been bad for years. My mum, in 2013, was kept the ambulance for hours, then in the corridor, then in a bed before going to the ward. She died but I am sure she would have died anyway. So she would have shown up in the report as a needless death but she wasn't.

And you think tougher checks on medical tourism would prevent these deaths? What percentage of the queue at A&E do you think are medical tourists?

England A&E wait times led to needless deaths of up to 14,000, data suggests

RCEM calculates 268 people are likely to have died each week in 2023 while waiting up to 12 hours for a bed

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-data-suggests

Quote Originally Posted by becomjapanHK:
    England A&E wait times led to needless deaths of up to 14,000, data suggests

RCEM calculates 268 people are likely to have died each week in 2023 while waiting up to 12 hours for a bed

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-data-suggests
    Yes that is the report I was referring to in my post.

"And you think tougher checks on medical tourism would prevent these deaths? What percentage of the queue at A&E do you think are medical tourists?"

Needs tighter and improved management all round. This is peoples lives we are talking of.

I found this analysis of the NHS to be interesting.

Basic highlights: between 2013 and 2023 the population of England went up by 7%; the number of doctors in the English NHS went up by 37% and the number of nurses by 23%; but the number of support staff went up by 45%. The fundamental problem is that support staff justify their existence by getting medical staff to fill in more forms, so even though the number of doctors went up by 37% the total amount of time spent doctoring went down because of the need to satisfy all the support staff.

https://dailysceptic.org/2024/03/11/...-with-so-much/

Quote Originally Posted by PLamHK:
    I found this analysis of the NHS to be interesting.

Basic highlights: between 2013 and 2023 the population of England went up by 7%; the number of doctors in the English NHS went up by 37% and the number of nurses by 23%; but the number of support staff went up by 45%. The fundamental problem is that support staff justify their existence by getting medical staff to fill in more forms, so even though the number of doctors went up by 37% the total amount of time spent doctoring went down because of the need to satisfy all the support staff.

https://dailysceptic.org/2024/03/11/...-with-so-much/
    Selective data. With the increase the number of doctors in the NHS returned to 2007 levels

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tors-employed/

Sadly, that article is behind a paywall asking for US$199/month!

Quote Originally Posted by PLamHK:
    Sadly, that article is behind a paywall asking for US$199/month!
    What my link? I certainly didn't pay

But clicking from the post it does, weird

Anyway
    2007 125,000 doctors
    2022 128,000 doctors

2013 was the low point, which is where they coincidentally used as their base.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I wasn't asked for anything when I went to the GP when returning to the UK nor at the hospital
    Isn't the NHS 10th out of 11 leading developed countries for medical outcomes per $ spent?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    What my link? I certainly didn't pay

But clicking from the post it does, weird

Anyway
    2007 125,000 doctors
    2022 128,000 doctors

2013 was the low point, which is where they coincidentally used as their base.
    Funding has been thrown at the NHS but the current government. No significant increase health outcomes. 16% increase in money reduction in service.

The NHS needs reform not cash

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast