Like Tree5Likes

NHS: Pros / Cons / Benefits Etc...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Funding has been thrown at the NHS but the current government. No significant increase health outcomes. 16% increase in money reduction in service.

The NHS needs reform not cash
    I think it needs both. But probably not the reform you are thinking of

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Funding has been thrown at the NHS but the current government. No significant increase health outcomes. 16% increase in money reduction in service.

The NHS needs reform not cash
    What about if you take that chart of doctors back 5 years? Manipulation of data again

My simple point was that 'medical tourism' accounted for just 0.3% of NHS spending and that I would rather that was spent than people needlessly die including people who were actually entitled to free NHS treatment. No one answered that but instead we have deflected onto the funding of the NHS, numbers of doctors and anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Anyway
    2007 125,000 doctors
    2022 128,000 doctors

2013 was the low point, which is where they coincidentally used as their base.
    I believe, although I'm struggling to find definitive data, that between 2007 and 2013 (which ever year in your Statista graph where there's a big step drop) a number of functions/doctors were moved out from the NHS to some sort of community organisations and therefore stopped being counted in the NHS numbers. I don't think there were suddenly 15,000 fewer doctors in England.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PLamHK:
    I believe, although I'm struggling to find definitive data, that between 2007 and 2013 (which ever year in your Statista graph where there's a big step drop) a number of functions/doctors were moved out from the NHS to some sort of community organisations and therefore stopped being counted in the NHS numbers. I don't think there were suddenly 15,000 fewer doctors in England.
    Clinical commissioning groups?

Quote Originally Posted by PLamHK:
    Don't stress to find it on my account as it is totally irrelevant to me and the point I was making about medical tourism.

Can't see why there is a shortage of funds now the NHS has the £350 million a week from Brexit.

Beanieskis and newhkpr like this.

I think the biggest problem the NHS has is a demographic one... I heard a stat quoted on a podcast recently (sorry but I've been unable to find the original source, think the podcast was TRIP) that said that about 27% of public spending was spent on the NHS in Gordon Brown's time, that's now increased to 40-something %.

The changes that are needed are more fundamental than throwing more money at the problem. Working out how a shrinking population of working adults is going to support a growing population of retired adults who are living longer after retirement.

hullexile likes this.

It actually ended up more than that......but the mis-use is off the charts

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    I think the biggest problem the NHS has is a demographic one... I heard a stat quoted on a podcast recently (sorry but I've been unable to find the original source, think the podcast was TRIP) that said that about 27% of public spending was spent on the NHS in Gordon Brown's time, that's now increased to 40-something %.

The changes that are needed are more fundamental than throwing more money at the problem. Working out how a shrinking population of working adults is going to support a growing population of retired adults who are living longer after retirement.
    The free medication alone for them is mind-blowing. All my retired friends have loads of it for arthritis, diabetes, etc. Then at least three of them have had new knees, cataracts whatever.

Getting the right system so that people are not dying or suffering because they can't afford treatment is a tough one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast