Like Tree13Likes

Ireland, Spain, Norway to recognize Palestinian statehood

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ireland, Spain, Norway to recognize Palestinian statehood

https://www.politico.eu/article/ireland-other-european-countries-to-recognize-palestinian-statehood/

Irish Prime Minister Simon Harris said Palestine deserved the same right to be recognized as a sovereign state that Ireland received after fighting a war of independence from Britain more than a century ago.
    Israel announced Wednesday morning that it was recalling its ambassadors from Ireland and Norway with “immediate” effect, in protest at the decisions. “Today’s decision sends a message to the Palestinians and the world: Terrorism pays,” said Israel Katz, Israel’s foreign minister. “After the Hamas terror organization carried out the largest massacre of Jews since the Holocaust, after committing heinous sexual crimes witnessed by the world, these countries chose to reward Hamas and Iran by recognizing a Palestinian state.”
    Norway’s Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre and Foreign Minister Espen Barth Eide announced at a press conference Wednesday morning that their country will also recognize Palestine as a state from May 28, with the territorial demarcation between Palestine and Israel to be based on the borders from before June 4, 1967, when Israel captured the Gaza Strip from Egypt and the West Bank and East Jerusalem from Jordan during the Six Day War.
    Seems like the most tense relations between Europe and Israel ever?

Spotted in The Guardian..

Israel’s foreign minister Israel Katz shared a post with the news on X. It said:

I have instructed the immediate recall of Israel’s ambassadors to Ireland and Norway for consultations in light of these countries’ decisions to recognise a Palestinian state.

I’m sending a clear and unequivocal message to Ireland and Norway: Israel will not remain silent in the face of those undermining its sovereignty and endangering its security.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...amin-netanyahu

This Irish government doing what they want as usual following the noise of a vocal minority, and misreading the silent majority, and becoming more hated than any government in the history of the free state. No wonder the leader has to vacate his home for personal safety.

saltywetman and markranson like this.

I won't argue with anyone called Paddy on Irish matters, but these Spaniards giving a standing ovation look fairly unified.

Simple fact is the current Israeli administration don't want peace (unless it is the kind of peace that follows wiping out the other population either through bombs, blockade or settlement to the point of non viability of their territory and a one state solution).

So this move towards a two state solution is way scarier for them than anything else... after all an international consensus which necessitates deconstructing settlements and pulling back to 1967 borders doesn't sound much fun. Others will follow.

Name:  Screenshot_20240522_185001_BBC.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  358.9 KB

shri, tf19, irisboards and 1 others like this.

Surprisingly even Irish Reddit is for this, for being a vocal minority and all that..

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/s/PVk41xo7RU

What is new is that these are the first (I think) European nations to come out for Palestinian statehood.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/which-c...t-is-changing/

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    I won't argue with anyone called Paddy on Irish matters, but these Spaniards giving a standing ovation look fairly unified.

Simple fact is the current Israeli administration don't want peace (unless it is the kind of peace that follows wiping out the other population either through bombs, blockade or settlement to the point of non viability of their territory and a one state solution).

So this move towards a two state solution is way scarier for them than anything else... after all an international consensus which necessitates deconstructing settlements and pulling back to 1967 borders doesn't sound much fun. Others will follow.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a picture of a parliamentary house, probably the party in power, responding to a government decision? That photo alone wouldn't prove to me that Spain is united behind this decision, but that's beside my point.

I really don't care about the middle east. I just care about the political manoeuvring going on in Ireland, disguised as having a heart to the outside world.

What you have in Ireland's case is the government of a neutral country, with an army that couldn't take out an ant hill, acting billy big bollocks on the international stage, while it's own house is burning down behind them.
    saltywetman and markranson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:

Catalana next?
    qhank likes this.

@paddylast - so why is Ireland being manipulated to go against what is quite a global move to support palestinian statehood?

As a country or colony I would have thought there would be some empathy towards another oppressed group of people.

Or is Ireland a lot more right wing than I thought.

Corrib likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paddylast:
    This Irish government doing what they want as usual following the noise of a vocal minority, and misreading the silent majority, and becoming more hated than any government in the history of the free state. No wonder the leader has to vacate his home for personal safety.
    Recognizing the state of Palestine does not mean giving legitimacy to Hamas.

The West Bank and Gaza and not a state. A three state solution would probably better reflect reality.

Now all we need is for these countries to recognize Taiwan statehood and we'll be all set...

I think the only European country recognizing Taiwan is...the Vatican (Holy See or whatever its official name is...).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast