View Poll Results: How much should she get?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50-75% of the savings made during the 5 years of marriage

6 23.08%
  • 25-50% of the savings made during the 5 years of marriage

8 30.77%
  • 10-25% of the savings made during the 5 years of marriage

1 3.85%
  • Up to 10% of the savings made during the 5 years of marriage

5 19.23%
  • Nothing

6 23.08%
Like Tree1Likes

Divorce settlement

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    Moot point anyway...you don't to decide, the courts do
    The matter would only go to Court if agreement between the parties cannot be reached. A very expensive exercise - especially if one party is Legally Aided - which a non-working spouse is likely to be.

The only winners in such a scenario are likely to be the lawyers

Having been through something similar but not in HK .......
    If you are both reasonable people then you have to ask her what she needs in regard to your financial standing.

I take it she is a HK girl, in which case being " cared for " would be high on her priority list. Therefore renting an apartment for her would be an important step and a contribution to living expenses for a set period. Her family would also be pleased.

If she is not a HK girl and is dependent upon your HK status it would all tie into a period revolving around the period needed to get a PHKID.

Thanks for the intelligent replies, but I was wondering what you think she should get, not what the law says.

Quote Originally Posted by Safran:
    Thanks for the intelligent replies, but I was wondering what you think she should get, not what the law says.
    If it was me I'd be looking for a clean break settlement to disallow her from coming back for more. But it all depends how much is in the pot. I think 50/50 in this scenario would be fair but it's difficult to say because the poll only mentions savings - not other potential assets such as property, pensions, endowments, shares etc. For example, one spouse could offer the whole amount of savings to offset the property, pension etc and negotiate a clean break settlement.

As mentioned, it all depends how much is in the pot.

Shilo- what are "marital assets"? Are they assets aquired during the course of the marriage, or all assets owned during the marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Shilo- what are "marital assets"? Are they assets aquired during the course of the marriage, or all assets owned during the marriage?
    Marital assets consist of everything you own but now they belong to her. Bitter, moi?

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    The only winners in such a scenario are likely to be the lawyers
    That is the case for most scenarios... I always found it interesting that the people(if lawyers could be described that way) brought in to resolve conflict usually benefit the most by extending and making the conflict worse.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    That is the case for most scenarios... I always found it interesting that the people(if lawyers could be described that way) brought in to resolve conflict usually benefit the most by extending and making the conflict worse.
    They often have little incentive to resolve the matter promptly and often send inflammatory (and costly) letters to the other side. The divorcing couple go to war but don't realise at the time that they are simply reducing the overall marital pot. Solicitors love a contested divorce.

Safran, do you have a job? Seriously, am curious how someone has so much time up their hands that they can post these kinds of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK:
    Safran, do you have a job? Seriously, am curious how someone has so much time up their hands that they can post these kinds of questions.
    No job, no friends, no life...no point in existing.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast