View Poll Results: How much should she get?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50-75% of the savings made during the 5 years of marriage

6 23.08%
  • 25-50% of the savings made during the 5 years of marriage

8 30.77%
  • 10-25% of the savings made during the 5 years of marriage

1 3.85%
  • Up to 10% of the savings made during the 5 years of marriage

5 19.23%
  • Nothing

6 23.08%
Like Tree1Likes

Divorce settlement

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Divorce settlement

Suppose you are married for 5 years and both of you decide to divorce for no fault of either. She was working before marriage, and she stopped working after getting married and never worked for the last 5 years. You don't have kids.

How much should she get?

And no, this isn't happening to me. I just wonder what people think.

seriously what a troll

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    seriously what a troll
    If you don't want to discuss, you can "contribute" to other threads. There are plenty.

Why did she stop working if there are no kids. This would be my major factor on deciding how much to give her. Was it her own decision to stop or did the husband ask her to stop.

Yeah, what a crap attempt at a troll. Even if was a serious question, there is no 'right' answer as the number of variables that would bear on the situation would be huge.

How long is a piece of string?

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Why did she stop working if there are no kids. This would be my major factor on deciding how much to give her. Was it her own decision to stop or did the husband ask her to stop.
    She stopped working out of her own decision.

Oh no. Not again this crap with the "right answer".
    What do you think? You have the right to have an opinion here. This is a free country. And if you don't have opinions of your own, you have the right not to post on this thread and not to participate in polls. Sheesh!
    Last edited by Safran; 05-02-2009 at 12:01 PM.

Oh, so we don't have the right to post our opinions your thread? Or do you want to keep your sandbox for yourself?

My opinion is that there's not much to be gained by deliberately inflammatory, vague and unanswerable posts. It's either a sign of immaturity or deliberate trolling (the two are correlated).

You might consider it interesting, I consider it infantile. But hey, keep going if you want- I'm not going to stop you.

Moot point anyway...you don't to decide, the courts do

Quote Originally Posted by Safran:
    Suppose you are married for 5 years and both of you decide to divorce for no fault of either. She was working before marriage, and she stopped working after getting married and never worked for the last 5 years. You don't have kids.

How much should she get?

And no, this isn't happening to me. I just wonder what people think.
    Give her everything -- taking care of you was probably more than a full time job! <3

The key question here is in which divorce jurisdiction the divorce will take place. Seriously, if England & Wales the wife can expect a lot more.

Fault does not come in to it. Under the terms of White versus White, the wife will be entitled to 50% of marital assets. However, this is only a starting point and in reality many wives end up with 60/40or 70/30 spilts.

It is irrelevant why she stopped working - only that she did stop working and a judge will take the pragmatic view that whilst not working (for whatever reason) the wife ws unable to build up a pension of her own. However, the fact that there are no children of the marriage means it is highly unlikely the wife will win alimony payments although her skills and age will be taken into account and even if alimony was awared it may only be awarded for a short time to allow for retraining etc.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast