octuplet birth...ethical issues?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

octuplet birth...ethical issues?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090207/...e_us/octuplets

ok... so this mother is 33 years old... her eldest(of 14) child is 7 years old. and yet, she claims to have 'STRUGGLED' to get pregnant for 7 years prior to her first insemination...

correct me if i'm wrong...but...
    33 years old - 7 year old child = 26 years old when she gave birth to # 1...so, actually around 25 years old when pregnant with #1...

but she "struggled" for 7 years before that? so, she was struggling to get pregnant when she was 18 years old???

did i do the math right?

i'm all for a woman's right to have a child and a woman's right to choose, but really...aren't there some issues here for a single, divorced mum of 6 youngsters to go ahead and have another 8?

she claims that she has never been on welfare, but i really wonder how long that will last? or is she hoping for one of these discovery channel shows or a book deal or movie deal to pay for the kids?

anyone have any opinions on this circus?

She might not have been on benefit but she received US$ 165,000 for a back injury at work. Not sufficiently bad to stop her having 14 kids though.

Personally I think she is a mentally unstable leech. Her ship has already come in financially from all the shows, books, interviews and other offers that are coming her way. I absolutely do not believe it is good for the children or that she has their best interests at heart. How does a single woman provide enough love and attention to 14 children to help them grow up healthy, secure etc. She must have known given her track record that she had a high chance of carrying to term most if not all of the babies and really, even if only a few survived she would probably have been able to sell her story as a single mom of 10 or so.

I think the clinic she used should be held accountable. There should be limitations applied to any woman trying to concieve. I don't see why anyone should be able to have 8 embryos emplanted at a time. The clinic has endangered the lives of each of the 8. They were born 9 and a bit weeks early. They all could have died, or could still die. It's insane.

Carang, if you read the article it also shows that her claims about being infertile and thus seeking treatment were in fact bogus, she simply 'loved having children'. She's a nutter. Even her mother says as much!

i did read the article, but i must have missed that part as i was concentrating more on the math...

thanks for the pointer.

actually, i also read that she had 6 embryos implanted each time... it's just this time that 2 of them split and she had 2 set of identical twins within this set of octuplets.

Some thousand years ago they use to call it virgin birth, perhaps the pseudo-science of yesterday is now streching their "legs" quite wide to bring octuplet births.

Personally, these and other achievements of this kind are in most cases medical experiments. This one did get more cover attention (free advertisement) maybe because the clinic is looking to fund other undisclosed researches.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

It was inevitable. Mother of the Year candidate has hired a publicist and is fundraising.

http://www.thenadyasulemanfamily.com

Quote Originally Posted by Poutouna:
    Some thousand years ago they use to call it virgin birth, perhaps the pseudo-science of yesterday is now streching their "legs" quite wide to bring octuplet births.

Personally, these and other achievements of this kind are in most cases medical experiments. This one did get more cover attention (free advertisement) maybe because the clinic is looking to fund other undisclosed researches.
    How on earth do you connect this with virgin birth?

I'm still trying to figure out the 'personally'.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    Octuplet fertility doctor under investigation

ok... so this mother is 33 years old... her eldest(of 14) child is 7 years old. and yet, she claims to have 'STRUGGLED' to get pregnant for 7 years prior to her first insemination...

correct me if i'm wrong...but...
    33 years old - 7 year old child = 26 years old when she gave birth to # 1...so, actually around 25 years old when pregnant with #1...

but she "struggled" for 7 years before that? so, she was struggling to get pregnant when she was 18 years old???

did i do the math right?

i'm all for a woman's right to have a child and a woman's right to choose, but really...aren't there some issues here for a single, divorced mum of 6 youngsters to go ahead and have another 8?

she claims that she has never been on welfare, but i really wonder how long that will last? or is she hoping for one of these discovery channel shows or a book deal or movie deal to pay for the kids?

anyone have any opinions on this circus?

I just feel sorry for the kids. I seriously doubt her mental capacity on taking care of ALL of them .

The more that comes out of this story, the more I question the general common sense of people.

Obviously the media are having a field day and the mom is 'enjoying' her 15 mins of fame. What happens afterwards???

Quote Originally Posted by happy_mom:
    I just feel sorry for the kids. I seriously doubt her mental capacity on taking care of ALL of them .

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast