Like Tree2Likes

Man dies after being shot by policeman

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast
  1. #91

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,939
    Quote Originally Posted by timklip:
    simple...wait for backup. come in with a show of force...don't speed over on your scooter and play solo commando...again..THIS WAS NOT A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION! It was a nuisance complaint, but one with previous evidence suggesting someone unstable...
    It's easy to see why the officer went up alone. Someone complained about a man urinating in public and the policeman probably did not think this was at all likely to be a threatening situation - tell the guy to move along or use a convenience or whatever.... He IS a policeman after all, he's supposed to command respect and probably asks people to "move along" or checks ID's about 50 times a day .... If the police force quivered on the sidelines whenever they were called out to an incident they would not be much help to anyone!

  2. #92

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Siu Lam
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> alternatives....

    Perhaps a good time for the force to look at tasers?
    And next thread will be about a man died because the cops tazed him !

  3. #93

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    40,436

    >> And next thread will be about a man died because the cops tazed him !

    Send all the cops to the Shaolin temple for six months then.


  4. #94

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,025
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> alternatives....

    Perhaps a good time for the force to look at tasers?
    This is also a tool but one that in North America in some jurisdictions is getting over-used and death sadly can and does come with its use.

    This video of the tasering leading to death at Vancouver Airport is not for the faint of heart. The officer has had to change his story when this came out. Tasers can lead to death in many situations especially it seems where a person is under the influence of drugs or otherwise unfit.

    Taser video shows RCMP shocked immigrant within 25 seconds of their arrival

    This poor guy dies in what is now a public inquiry given the outrage across Canada (and I agree with that).
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CR_k-dTnDU]YouTube - Vancouver Airport - Robert Dziekanski's Taser Death (Full)[/ame]

  5. #95

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a little burrow
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    It's easy to see why the officer went up alone. Someone complained about a man urinating in public and the policeman probably did not think this was at all likely to be a threatening situation - tell the guy to move along or use a convenience or whatever.... He IS a policeman after all, he's supposed to command respect and probably asks people to "move along" or checks ID's about 50 times a day .... If the police force quivered on the sidelines whenever they were called out to an incident they would not be much help to anyone!
    Beat cops patrol in pairs, cops on foot or in cars answer calls in pairs. Even cops checking IDs are in pairs, at least. But motorcycle cops charge on in alone to non-emergency calls? Hmm. I'm wondering if he wasn't a little over-enthusiastic.

    When the man said he had no ID and tried to leave, the cop should not have tried to restrain him alone.

  6. #96

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    How exactly do you know it wasn't a life threatening situation? Were you there? Were you the one being attacked with a bar stool after having tried pepper spray and your baton? Do you think for example that a 6'3" 225lbs drunk guy swinging a bar stool could not kill a 145lbs 5'7 cop?(I don't know the sizes but they are certainly within reasonable limits) Do you think the cop should have run away and possibly let other people get injured?

    It may be that he was too quick to draw his gun but the judge of that is certainly not for anyone sitting on a chair with limited information.

    I find it pretty hard to muster great feelings of sympathy for the attacker in light of the information released though I do feel for his family and I think that being in the shoes of the police officer, it's not inconceivable I would have acted the same way.
    either you are too thick to comprehend the story as written (in either source) or your, once again, being intentionally moronic...

    I'm talking about the situation that the cop responded to...a call that the man was undressing/pissing in public and shouting...now granted, I've never been pissed on, maybe you have, but I wouldn't call that life threatening...and it was in an area of Kowloon City where few people ever go, so little threat to passers-by...everything that happened after the cop arrived IS A DIFFERENT situation..of course as soon as his gun was drawn (possibly as soon as the chair was raised) it became life-threatening but that's not the situation that prompted to call to police is it?...try to stay in the same spatial dimension with the rest of us gilles

    we could also speculate since thats all anyone is doing, that the guy is well under 6 feet (average height for asian males here), and being homeless, probably not bulked up on a diet of steak and pork chops...swinging a chair at a trained police officer, who, despite this no doubt savage and merciless beating, is able to draw his weapon (would he not be shielding himself from the vicious blows?)...probably not swinging it as hard as a he-man like you could...I think the cop made too many bad decisions for this to be the fault of the dead man
    Last edited by timklip; 18-03-2009 at 04:49 PM.

  7. #97

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Siu Lam
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by timklip:
    either you are too thick to comprehend the story as written (in either source) or your, once again, being intentionally moronic...

    I'm talking about the situation that the cop responded to...a call that the man was undressing/pissing in public and shouting...now granted, I've never been pissed on, maybe you have, but I wouldn't call that life threatening...and it was in an area of Kowloon City where few people ever go, so little threat to passers-by...everything that happened after the cop arrived IS A DIFFERENT situation..of course as soon as his gun was drawn (possibly as soon as the chair was raised) it became life-threatening but that's not the situation that prompted to call to police is it?...try to stay in the same spatial dimension with the rest of us gilles

    we could also speculate since thats all anyone is doing, that the guy is well under 6 feet (average height for asian males here), and being homeless, probably not bulked up on a diet of steak and pork chops...swinging a chair at a trained police officer, who, despite this no doubt savage and merciless beating, is able to draw his weapon (would he not be shielding himself from the vicious blows?)...probably not swinging it as hard as a he-man like you could...I think the cop made too many bad decisions for this to be the fault of the dead man
    Yes and that will explain why the cops went alone and didnt call back up to tell a man to stop taking a wee in a public place !

  8. #98

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,419

    agree Football...TASER is not a proven safe weapon, and I think too many users are quick to use it as the feeling is "It's not use of lethal force' when clearly it can be


  9. #99

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,373
    Quote Originally Posted by timklip:
    either you are too thick to comprehend the story as written (in either source) or your, once again, being intentionally moronic...

    everything that happened after the cop arrived IS A DIFFERENT situation..of course as soon as his gun was drawn (possibly as soon as the chair was raised) it became life-threatening but that's not the situation that prompted to call to police is it?...try to stay in the same spatial dimension with the rest of us gilles
    As soon as the chair was raised by the man thats when it became life threatening hence why the officer drew his firearm.

    It seems you're the one in the wrong spatial dimension here not Gilles.

  10. #100

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    25,695

    Well I don't know what really happened so can't make a judgement. I stopped reading the Standard after that recent highly dubious piece of so called journalism about Filipinos being the main factor in MRSA in Hong Kong.

    Feel sorry for the man's family, feel sorry for the policeman if he correctly only did what he felt he had to to save his own life. I do feel it could have been handled differently, if only because someone lost their life and that should be avoided at all cost IMO - but that is easy to say in hindsight and from the safety of my office. As I say I don't have any real evidence so best keep my gob shut.


Closed Thread
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast