Like Tree2Likes

Man dies after being shot by policeman

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

The cop was completely in the right. I mean, he tried other means that didn't work and his life was threatened. Who knows what the other guy was on (possibly drugs) or maybe he's just mental, all of which means that little other than a bullet might have stopped him. It's sad but would have been sadder if it had been the police man who had died. I don't envy them their jobs even in a relatively safe place like HK.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    Who knows what the other guy was on (possibly drugs) or maybe he's just mental, all of which means that little other than a bullet might have stopped him. .
    No evidence that he was on drugs. No evidence he was mental. Even if he was, that's no reason to kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    The Police here are among the best in the world, because they do deal with these idiots swiftly....

Sensible intelligent people don't attack police officers, nor should we accept any leniency toward idiots that decide to..

Would you rather have had the offender impale the police man, with the leg of a tubular metal framed chair through the chest, him later dying in hospital and us all reading about that in tomorrows SCMP instead ?

Weird world that you live in , if you do, Drum...
    'deal swiftly with these idiots?' By shooting them dead? Who decides who is the idiot?

I would prefer neither party to die. We don't know what would have happened if the policeman had not shot the man, or had used his batten and pepper spray correctly. To speculate is just conjecture.

I find it a little concerning that few people are asking questions about the actions of the police officer.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    No evidence that he was on drugs. No evidence he was mental. Even if he was, that's no reason to kill him.
    What sort of sane person attacks a police officer even after pepper spray has been used? would you?

There are many instances where pepper spray and or battons have been used correctly but still prove unsuccessful when dealing with people high on drugs or out of their mind. It's not a perfect world but it is what it is. The police officer has a duty to protect himself and the public first and foremost. If the attacker had managed to escape because say, in your world, he had only been shot in the foot or arm, which is no guarantee of stopping him, then the public would have been in danger. What then?
    Last edited by aussiegal; 18-03-2009 at 09:21 AM.

i was shocked that the cop didnt run away when being confronted.

For Skyhook - that poor homeless guy is dead if you wouldn't mind to show some respects and just a little decency instead of kept calling these people - idiots!!

Last edited by lolatlife; 18-03-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thundacatchergo:
    i was shocked that the cop didnt run away when being confronted.
    That would be a dereliction of duty and a cop running away from an incident would not be good.

What if the cop ran away and the guy ended up attacking a child etc?

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    What sort of sane person attacks a police officer even after pepper spray has been used? would you?
    Drugs or not, pepper spray doesn't work on everyone. It's a pain compliance tool, so it depends on how much pain you can tolerate. It also has to be aimed and depends on distance and wind.

A standard police baton also requires a certain distance to be maintained in order to be used to any effect. Even if assuming a light ASP-type of baton (most if not all cops here seem to carry the standard heavy police baton), if the attacker is aggressive and closing rapidly, you don't have time to get many strikes in before you're in grappling range and a stick weapon becomes useless. Especially in the close quarters of crowded HK streets.

I'm fairly sure I'm not insane, and I would absolutely defend myself to the utmost of my ability against a police officer if I felt that they were abusing their authority and using an unreasonable level of force against me.

In my opinion what has happened is pretty much a cock up and I do think it is a case of a severe overreaction.

If a homeless man attacks you with a chair ... back off and wait for another cop or twenty (as is the normal case in HK) to arrive and deal with it.

The cop probably watched way too many episodes of 24 .. someone go check is twitter page and facebook status.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/11/ny...bout.html?_r=2

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    The evidence that he attacked the policeman might be sufficient! As Skyhook noted, noone in their right minds attacks the police here.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast