Like Tree2Likes

Man dies after being shot by policeman

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast

>> Whether or not the officer spoke English to this fellow seems irrelevant.

Not completely agree.
    Of course not the only thing to blame,
    but i agree that every factor count a little bit towards the whole outcome.

>> If that man didn't understand that he should stand down after being hit with a baton

may not possible for a person who "maybe" easily get angry by others action, gestures or words towards him

so speaking the same language may alleviate the situation a bit, at least there is more hope than otherwise would be.

other than language, the tune of voice, friendly face, politeness, avoid body contact at the very beginning due to cultural differences matter too

>> and seeing a gun drawn on him, I doubt that a few words would have made a difference.

from watching the video, seems the man may not have enough time to response or set back after the police "suddenly" pull out his gun and fire at him.

>> Seriously, a weapon is pointed at someone and he keeps going.

What i am doubting is did the police officier give a pause to let the man seeing the gun is pointing to him now ?

From watching the video repeatly, seems the police was like pulling out his gun to shoot at a tiger or lion without really giving a "pause"

Last edited by Vrindavan; 28-03-2009 at 10:55 AM.

I hate to say it, but watch the victims family go for a grab for cash regarding this investigation, should any legal grey area be milked for every cent it's worth.

The victims family didn't give a thought about this dead man while he was alive, only until now that its attracted attention of the world media, does the brother even bother returning here.

As I stated in previous posts, this vagrant got what he brought upon himself and he must take responsibility for his actions, the Police were not expecting this crazy Nepalese guy to lose control, and as he had a violence wrap sheet a mile long, why are we even feeling sorry for this person ? He has hurt other people before, and likely to keep on doing so, until fate stepped in.

If it were a local ( Chinese ) Hung Hing ( triad ) who was caught copying pirate DVD's, who lost it during a routine vice raid, attacking police with a computer chair and being shot dead as a result, would any of you have given a thought ?

I didn't think so...

Last edited by Skyhook; 28-03-2009 at 12:05 PM.

>> He has hurt other people before

newspaper said so ?
    i miss it then

Believe or not he has got hereditary of Phedangma(A limbu priest that is self developed being in the jungle at least 6 month, 3 years and even 7 years. The words he has written on the tree is giving some hints that that language belongs to no any human language..
    If they are in this state no one has to disturm him.. resutls violent activities even complete madness.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Whether or not the officer spoke English to this fellow seems irrelevant. If that man didn't understand that he should stand down after being hit with a baton and seeing a gun drawn on him, I doubt that a few words would have made a difference.

Seriously, a weapon is pointed at someone and he keeps going. You think that saying stop or I will shoot will make a difference???
    If there were more than one police officer, I am quite sure, it would not happned. They could easily brought him under control.

and if the guy had stopped,
    and if the gun had misfired
    and if the cop had been Bruce Lee
    and if the guy didn't have a chair
    and if this...
    and if that...

It happened, the cop did his job to the best of his ability, it's too bad but life isn't always fair and nice. There's nothing nefarious in this policeman's action. He's going to have to live with it, likely will have trouble being promoted, the family might squeeze a few dollars out of it. End of story

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I cannot believe that somebody born here and who worked here did not speak Cantonese! Children pick up languages without even trying!
    He was a son of a British Gurkha Soldier born in HK but raised in an Army camp, most likely he attended Gurkha High School in Sek Kong, they only teach Nepalese and English language, He was a construction worker before but most likely he had a Nepalese foreman who had the ability to speak Cantonese.

Being Nepalese myself, i agree with Skyhook's comment, if my brother went missing i would go look for him immediately.

The victims family didn't give a thought about this dead man while he was alive, only until now that its attracted attention of the world media, does the brother even bother returning here.
    This dead guy has a wife and kid, why was he left to live in the hills, if the family had lost contact with him, why didnt the brother bother to come back and look for him.

It is unfortunate that a lucky shot got him in the head.

Ads: HKNepal.com

Protest March planned tomorrow in WanChai, this plus with the 7"s, its going to be a War Zone tomorrow night in Wan Chai.

Nepalese do get treated badly by the Police in HK so i understand the need for the rally tomorrow. When ever i get stopped by Police which is not that often now but in the past, they would stop me quite a few times, speak to me in Chinese and assume i'd understand.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    You're totally right. Most young Nepalis in HK do not speak Cantonese and many who were born here have only returned to HK recently after having lived in Nepal for years. The community didn't help this guy, but he had a list of violent offenses on his record and chose to distance himself from the community, so how was anyone to help him? He didn't want to be helped.

It's sad he had to die since he wasn't all there, but I'm glad the cop is ok. He's probably very upset by this whole incident. Honestly, in an adrenaline-charged situation like this, I can definitely see how things could turn out the way they did. I just wish he'd had the training to go hand-to-hand (the two-odd weeks of Aikido the HK Police do is woefully inadequate) or that his shot had landed somewhere else. Limbu was known for being a big, tough looking guy, but apparently he was suffering from some kind of debilitating physical illness as well.
    The absolutely worse thing that police officer should have done was go "hand-to-hand" as you say as this guy sounded crazed and if he was his strength on an adrenaline rush like these guys get would take 6 guys to haul him down into custody. I have seen 1 on 6 huge police in Vancouver with a nut case.

If that guy had overtaken that officer and got his gun, then what? You'd have a dead police officer and an armed loon. The outcome could have been far worse for a lot of people.

I agree with naivete about where bullets go. I was in the then South Van Police office when two constables in the locker one floor below were comparing the triggers with another guy's .357 magnum and their standard issue .38 when they fired what they thought was an unloaded .357 into the ceiling where it ended up in the ceiling one floor above just about 3 minutes after the night shift patrol division constables had just left the parade room where the bullet came through the floor.

I know of bullets fired by police that have gone astray and one time ended in the board just inches above a sleeping couple.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    This dead guy has a wife and kid, why was he left to live in the hills, if the family had lost contact with him, why didnt the brother bother to come back and look for him.
    Just found out after looking at the interview of the dead mans Brother, he is in the British Army and took special leave recently after finding out that his brother was dead, he was informed by people of HKnepal.co so he probably didnt know his brother was living in the hills.

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast