Like Tree2Likes

Man dies after being shot by policeman

Closed Thread
Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast

Reading Chinese news mentioned

Nepalese protested the jury is conducted in Cantonese, it will be translated to English , then further translated to Nepali, so it is not accurate and unfair to them.

and the victim's father don't know his son's death until recently,
    after he knew it from the Internet news recently, he felt his son was being killed like a furious wild animal, the news induced his heart attack and died on AUG 16

Last edited by Vrindavan; 07-09-2009 at 03:14 PM.

My god, Cantonese to English to Nepalese interpretation ! Absurd !

Wouldn't it be be much easier to do it in English ? I think their demand is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan:
    Reading Chinese news mentioned

Nepalese protested the jury is conducted in Cantonese, it will be translated to English , then further translated to Nepali, so it is not accurate and unfair to them.

and the victim's father don't know his son's death until recently,
    after he knew it from the Internet news recently, he felt his son was being killed like a furious wild animal, the news induced his heart attack and died on AUG 16
    Sorry but if the accused is cantonese, you don't run the trial to accommodate the victim's family.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Sorry but if the accused is cantonese, you don't run the trial to accommodate the victim's family.
    It's an inquest, not a criminal trial...and ALL parties involved should have a right to a clear understanding of the proceedings...presumably all police in HK should be able to speak and understand English...since the victim's family understand English and NOT Cantonese, it's only fair that the inquest be carried out in English...FWIW the family never requested a Nepalese translation....they wanted English, so why now the extra translation from Eng. to Nep to further introduce error...? what a Mickey Mouse legal system...
    Last edited by timklip; 09-09-2009 at 12:23 AM.

I speak from personal experience when I say that police officers in HK are not fluent in English - have dealt with about half a dozen of them for various reasons - not one was fluent and several could not speak a word!

perhaps they were 'playing dumb' in your presence, since according to the recruitment process English literacy (including translation from Chinese to English) is tested thoroughly in the selection process...

".they wanted English, so why now the extra translation from Eng. to Nep to further introduce error...? what a Mickey Mouse legal system... "

No doubt you would prefer a system where you got what you where given, with no choices.......... Like Burma perhaps or Vietnam or Thailand ............................ ????? If HK justice is Mickey Mouse then their truly is no hope. It may not be perfect but its a LOT better than the neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by timklip:
    It's an inquest, not a criminal trial...and ALL parties involved should have a right to a clear understanding of the proceedings...presumably all police in HK should be able to speak and understand English...since the victim's family understand English and NOT Cantonese, it's only fair that the inquest be carried out in English...FWIW the family never requested a Nepalese translation....they wanted English, so why now the extra translation from Eng. to Nep to further introduce error...? what a Mickey Mouse legal system...
    They're getting a translation and we're in HK which is chinese territory. The inquest is about a policemen whose first language is cantonese. I don't see why they should conduct it in English at all.

This isn't a British colony anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    They're getting a translation and we're in HK which is chinese territory. The inquest is about a policemen whose first language is cantonese. I don't see why they should conduct it in English at all.

This isn't a British colony anymore...
    Agreed, can't imagine many countries that would run a trial or inquest in a foreign language.

>> foreign language.

There is a difference between foreign language and official language.

While English is a foreign language, it is also an official language and I'd even speculate that the majority of the government's written / official business is conducted in this language.

As long as the translations are accurate, all is good. The Nepali community has a fair number of very fluent cantonese speakers who can help verify and monitor the inquest independently if required.

Even the foreign media are reported to have hired bilingual reporters since the handover....

Closed Thread
Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast