Like Tree2Likes

Man dies after being shot by policeman

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

"This isn't a British colony anymore..." ignores the fact that police are *required* to be competent in English ...

In response to the reddie, I'd say that this is irrelevant. The fact that policemen should be able to have competency in English has no relevance to the fact that the court/arbitration/inquest may choose to conduct its deliberation in the native language of the majority of the population here including the policemen who is under the spotlight.

I think that we're very lucky that the government/local people have the courtesy to maintain a very reasonable level of English throughout the territory.

I think that we're very lucky that the government/local people have the courtesy to maintain a very reasonable level of English throughout the territory.
    Hardly a courtesy.

It is essential for the territories status as "Asia's World City". I'd also beg to differ on the "reasonable level of English throughout the territory".

Anyways .. I'm digressing, the thread is about the guy who died and not the current language issue....

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If the police officers and other witnesses have Cantonese as their mother tongue, it is reasonable to have the inquest conducted in Cantonese.

>> As long as the translations are accurate, all is good.

hope so

>> I speak from personal experience when I say that police officers in HK are not fluent in English

true, this is what has been discussed before many times in this thread

The police who killed the man shout only in Cantonese.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan:
    >> As long as the translations are accurate, all is good.

hope so

>> I speak from personal experience when I say that police officers in HK are not fluent in English

true, this is what has been discussed before many times in this thread

The police who killed the man shout only in Cantonese.
    Police in Paris shout in French ... So what ?

Moral of the story, if you live in a foreign city for as long as the deceased had, there was no excuse for him to not be able to speak Cantonese...

Ignorance is not an excuse, especially when it causes death. Something to learn from, by all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:

Moral of the story, if you live in a foreign city for as long as the deceased had, there was no excuse for him to not be able to speak Cantonese...

Ignorance is not an excuse, especially when it causes death. Something to learn from, by all concerned.
    To be honest I don't think it matters what language they shout in, if a policeman with a gun was shouting at me in Martian I would still freeze immediately. Would of course be unfortunate if he was telling me to get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    To be honest I don't think it matters what language they shout in, if a policeman with a gun was shouting at me in Martian I would still freeze immediately. Would of course be unfortunate if he was telling me to get out of the way.
    For most people with a small cup of common sense, that would have been enough..

I absolutely agree with you..

This guy would not have avoided being shot in any country that I can think of. He would have been shot in France, very likely Australia, Germany, Italy, the US for sure.. If you refuse the authority of the law, and they draw their service firearm, you drop to your knees and put your hands on your head....!

If you don't, you will get shot... Only an idiot with an IQ below Forest Gump's ( below 65 ) would dare argue otherwise...
    Last edited by Skyhook; 09-09-2009 at 10:38 AM.

Kind of agree. But if apply that logic to California, it doesn't really make sense. Spanish may not be a language widely used across America, but being a police officer in California, you need to know some basic Spanish at a minimum.

Agreed but then 95%, and that's being generous, of the expat population would be guilty as charged!

**As well as many who were born and bought up here.......

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    ".they wanted English, so why now the extra translation from Eng. to Nep to further introduce error...? what a Mickey Mouse legal system... "

No doubt you would prefer a system where you got what you where given, with no choices.......... Like Burma perhaps or Vietnam or Thailand ............................ ????? If HK justice is Mickey Mouse then their truly is no hope. It may not be perfect but its a LOT better than the neighbours.
    not at all (WTF do those other countries have to do with it? try staying on topic FFS)...what I'm saying is, the family of the victim asked for English...that was denied...now they are getting at LEAST the translation into English (which may be sketchy judging by some of the translation I've encountered here)...that's great! Kudos to the courts for that move...now the family (and anyone else who speaks English but not Canto) can follow the procedings...but wait, lets f*ck things up even further by translating the translation into a third language...you don't seriously think that what is said in Canto will come out with the same nuances and inferrences when heard in Nepalese do you?...

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast