Like Tree2Likes

Man dies after being shot by policeman

Closed Thread
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile:
    Kind of agree. But if apply that logic to California, it doesn't really make sense. Spanish may not be a language widely used across America, but being a police officer in California, you need to know some basic Spanish at a minimum.
    About 30% of the population in California is hispanic and it's projected that they will be a majority by 2042.

Not to mention that there are many, many hispanic gangs in California so it's in a police officer's best interest to know a bit of spanish. Now if there was a shooting of a spanish speaker, do we think the inquest would take place in spanish or english?

Now this is only a guess but I'd say the average HK policeman knows more English in here than the average california cop knows spanish.

And as was said, it's very hard to feel any guilt towards a fellow that continues to charge a policeman pointing a gun regardless of language. I have no doubt the policeman will be cleared, he might get some kind of reprimand but that's about it.

He probably shouldn't have drawn his gun but once he did and the guy kept going, well Darwin says bye bye. The gene pool has suddenly improved a little bit...

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    They're getting a translation and we're in HK which is chinese territory. The inquest is about a policemen whose first language is cantonese. I don't see why they should conduct it in English at all.

This isn't a British colony anymore...
    The policeman isn't on trial. It's an inquest to determine the cause of death. The man's relatives requested it be held in English. If there needs to be translation, it could be from English to Cantonese for those who don't understand English. English is also an official language in Hong Kong. The point about Hong Kong not being a British colony is irrelevant.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

drumbrake, if some of the witnesses only speak Cantonese, the inquest cannot reasonably be held in English.

The words of the witnesses in the record will be their own, not an interpretation which is not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    The policeman isn't on trial. It's an inquest to determine the cause of death. The man's relatives requested it be held in English. If there needs to be translation, it could be from English to Cantonese for those who don't understand English. English is also an official language in Hong Kong. The point about Hong Kong not being a British colony is irrelevant.
    So is chinese so it's at the discretion of the government and since this is chinese territory and not English anymore, I see no reason to accommodate unless all parties agree. The cause of death is pretty obvious, the inquest is essentially to determine whether there was wrongdoing on the part of the policeman. Since he's the most concerned party in this inquest, and his career is on the line. It's fair that it be held in cantonese.

About 30% of the population in California is hispanic and it's projected that they will be a majority by 2042.

Not to mention that there are many, many hispanic gangs in California so it's in a police officer's best interest to know a bit of spanish. Now if there was a shooting of a spanish speaker, do we think the inquest would take place in spanish or english?
    I was replying to Skyhooks post, which was in relation to the actual incident, nothing to do with the inquest, so don't even bother raising the question.

And, more to the point, it was in relation to residents knowing the local language. There are many Mexicans who do not know basic english while they live in California, so most Californian police, by necessity have to know some basic Spanish.

So is chinese so it's at the discretion of the government and since this is chinese territory and not English anymore, I see no reason to accommodate unless all parties agree. The cause of death is pretty obvious, the inquest is essentially to determine whether there was wrongdoing on the part of the policeman. Since he's the most concerned party in this inquest, and his career is on the line. It's fair that it be held in cantonese.
    Do you seriously believe that the career of the policeman is on the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    drumbrake, if some of the witnesses only speak Cantonese, the inquest cannot reasonably be held in English.

The words of the witnesses in the record will be their own, not an interpretation which is not accurate.
    I don't understand your argument. What if some of the witnesses only speak English, and some only speak Cantonese? What language should be inquest be held in?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Coroner William Ng Sing- wai made his decision on the grounds that most witnesses are expected to testify in Cantonese.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Do you seriously believe that the career of the policeman is on the line?
    I would hope not but he is certainly the one with the most to lose at the moment... Bottom line is that the inquest is about him and his actions and whether they were justified.

I see absolutely no reason to hold the inquest in English apart form the fact that it would accommodate the family of the deceased who are not directly involved in this inquest though I am sure they are interested in the result.

>> with a gun was shouting at me in Martian I would still freeze immediatel

>> And as was said, it's very hard to feel any guilt towards a fellow that continues to charge a policeman pointing a gun regardless of language. I have no doubt the policeman will be cleared, he might get some kind of reprimand but that's about it.

NO NO NO

from the video,
    i can't see the policeman is giving the victim a bit of time (even one or two second) before he fired his gun.
    It is just pull out the gun and shot immediately thing.

And there is a reasonable distance between the two, so the police is not shot out of immediate danger of being attacked.

>>Police in Paris shout in French ... So what ?

not saying the police is wrong,
    but just a big laugh to people who cannot use simple English after studied it for so many years in school (with daily one to two sessions on English).

Closed Thread
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast