Like Tree2Likes

Man dies after being shot by policeman

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    We don't know what would have happened if the policeman had not shot the man, or had used his batten and pepper spray correctly.
    And the magic word there is IF. Hey what IF Barack Obama lost the election to John McCain, what IF John McCain had dropped dead 2 days later and Sarah Palin was now President of the US? The world is full of what IF's..........perfect world and perfect people there are not.....well apart from one person here who believes he is (and it's not you!).

But the pepper spray didn't work (and on psyched up people you can use it as correctly as you like and they will not drop), the policeman dropped his baton and was on the ground with a guy still attacking him. Most of us will not know the real geography of that area so we do not know if he could have "run" and to be honest in the same vein why is it that people who get beaten to death do not just "run". Because it's easier to say that to actually be there and do.

From what we are being told the policeman fired from a position on his backside on the ground while still being attacked. Now I'd ask anyone here that if they are on the ground being attacked with a weapon of any sort and they had the means to fight back and stop that attack would they take it? From some of the posts here it seems many would just allow themselves to be beaten to death, or would they?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    In my opinion what has happened is pretty much a cock up and I do think it is a case of a severe overreaction.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/11/ny...bout.html?_r=2
    How can anyone say that categorically? Are there witnesses to the attack or video that I am missing?

>> What we are being told the policeman fired from a position on his
    >> backside on the ground while still being attacked.

And you believe THE MAN??

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    'deal swiftly with these idiots?' By shooting them dead? Who decides who is the idiot?

I would prefer neither party to die. We don't know what would have happened if the policeman had not shot the man, or had used his batten and pepper spray correctly. To speculate is just conjecture.

I find it a little concerning that few people are asking questions about the actions of the police officer.
    I'd worry if he shot the man just because the man shouted at him or something (like you risk in the USA, or if you have an argument at an US airport!) but if he physically attacked the officer - nope - deserved it. The police are here to protect us and we should protect them in return by supporting their actions if their lives or health are threatened.

>> How can anyone say that categorically?

"In my opinion" ....

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    And you believe THE MAN??
    Shri, at this moment in time this is all any of us actually know, anything else is just pure speculation! Until a full investigation has been completed we'll hear all the speculation and conspiracy theories under the sun...!

>> if he physically attacked the officer

And how do you know for sure? Its a dead man's word against what could just be an incompetent officer.

Just give both sides of the story an equal opportunity to play out....

Is there not perhaps some hypocrasy going on here for those who are up in arms?

Most of us come from a system where people are "innocent until proved guilty" yet there are a few on here who want to find this policeman guilty without knowing all the facts.

I agree - there should be a review and provided there is evidence to support the officer, he should not be hounded. I'm sure if he was on the ground being attacked this will be easy to prove from clothing etc. Having said that, even if the is no evidence and no witnesses, I'd rather err on the side of supporting law enforcers than ganging up on them! On the whole it's a thankless and dangerous job and I'm glad they do it.

there is video, probably will be used in the investigation, as well as on You Tube at some point...stay tuned

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    ?
    Most of us come from a system where people are "innocent until proved guilty" yet there are a few on here who want to find this policeman guilty without knowing all the facts.
    But it's OK that homeless person was proved ''guilty'' on the spot and given a ''death penalty'' without any trial?!?!
    Last edited by lolatlife; 18-03-2009 at 10:33 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast