Like Tree2Likes

Man dies after being shot by policeman

Closed Thread
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Coroner William Ng Sing- wai made his decision on the grounds that most witnesses are expected to testify in Cantonese.
    And that is the essence of it. No more needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Coroner William Ng Sing- wai made his decision on the grounds that most witnesses are expected to testify in Cantonese.
    That is a legitimate argument. However, translation could be, and is used in cases where the witness do not speak the language which the inquest is being held in.

The question is, do you put the witnesses first, or do you put the family of the deceased first? The coroner has made his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I would hope not but he is certainly the one with the most to lose at the moment... Bottom line is that the inquest is about him and his actions and whether they were justified.
    Nothing I have read or heard about this case even remotely suggests that the establishment will seek to punish the officer concerned.

"The question is, do you put the witnesses first, or do you put the family of the deceased first? The coroner has made his decision. "

In a inquest neither of the above. What comes first is unearthing what happened and why surely? If this is more likely to be found in Cantonese than in English then that is the way to go.

Whatever way you do it there is going to have to be translations anyway.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

drumbrake, are you a friend of Fermi's?

Drumbrake,

Why should the officer be punished for doing his job ?

I would agree with you if the HK Police force had a bad reputation, or a lack of fire arm restraint, but nothing is further from the truth. You are less likely to be shot by a member of the police force here in HK, than majority of the worlds modern cities.

I don't see the problem, the police officer was placed in a very precarious situation, had to make a split second decision and if he had not shot the hostile Nepalese man, then we might have read the officers obituary instead. I don't care what ethnic group the offender was in, if they were Australian, British or European, I would have the same view.

The Nepalese guy made the wrong decision, and he met his fate.

Last edited by Skyhook; 09-09-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Anyway, until the inquest is over the Authorities would be acting prematurely if there was any discussion of punishment.

Just received the report (yesterday) from the forensic auditors investigating allegations against me in a UK paper - the report gives me a total all clear. Even when you know you are innocent these things hang over you. That was just for expenses, hate to think what the pressure is like when you have killed someone.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Nothing I have read or heard about this case even remotely suggests that the establishment will seek to punish the officer concerned.
    exactly drumbrake...this whole thing has already begun to smell of a whitewashed PR exercise, to try and show that the gov't is really concerned, but in the end, nothing concrete will likely come of it...the question has been raised ad nauseum regarding why the cop responded alone, both here and in the papers...perhaps a guideline for future situations could be drafted (if it isn't already, and simply wasn't followed) regarding how these responses should be handled...at any rate, we all have our opinions about who was at fault; nothing has been raised in these 30 pages that has changed my mind, and I hope for the victim's sake that his family gets some closure when all this is finished

Quote Originally Posted by timklip:
    exactly drumbrake...this whole thing has already begun to smell of a whitewashed PR exercise, to try and show that the gov't is really concerned, but in the end, nothing concrete will likely come of it...
    Nor does there need to be... It's one event by one cop in one situation.
    Tempest in a teacup really... No need to overhaul something that isn't broken.

Give the family a lollipop and move on...

>> Why should the officer be punished for doing his job ?

He should not be punished for doing his job. He should be punished if he f'ed up and did not do his job.

TheBrit likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast