Like Tree2Likes

Man dies after being shot by policeman

Closed Thread
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
  1. #331

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan:
    >> It would not surprise me if he was unable to maintain his family in Hong Kong, so his wife and kids may have returned to Nepal.


    or one partner is working overseas and the other is staying in home country.
    It is very common to many families.

    I remember the news said this man is so poor, He has lost his HKID card in the past. And he did not get a replacement card right away may be due to not enough money to pay the processing fee.

    And the cop asked for ID card and this man responded no. He walked away from the policeman. But the policeman shouted at him trying to stop him. Later he grabbed the Nepalese man on his shoulder first. The is the beginning of a fighting between two men.

    Not sure about Nepal culture, is it very rude to hit a person's head or shoulder ?

    One with a gun to dispose of, so the Nepalese man died in the end due to the shooting.
    You do omit a lot of relevant information in your description.............

  2. #332

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Veggie, HK
    Posts
    1,032

    >> You do omit a lot of relevant information in your description.............

    Yes, you are right.

    Go back in history and be the victim, you can experience all without omission.


  3. #333

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,586

    Not sure about Nepal culture, is it very rude to hit a person's head or shoulder ?
    -> Is it rude to ht a person with a chair in Nepalese culture?


    What I meant is that you can't make the description you made above and call yourself FAIR.

    You are mixing, feelings, half facts....

    Stick to the facts please.


  4. #334

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,905

    Get over it, the courts have ruled, it was unfortunate and the policeman obviously won't be getting a promotion any time soon but it happened while he was trying to do his duty as it happens all over the world on occasions. It was an accident it's pointless to drag it on...


  5. #335

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Veggie, HK
    Posts
    1,032

    i don't say what i typed are all facts.

    Some are just my opinions. If you disagree with my opinion. That's fine.

    And don't forget i used question mark,
    means the statement is up for discussion, i have not forced you to a definite opinion either.


  6. #336

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ex Sai Kunger
    Posts
    8,008

    What discussion is there ?

    The ironic thing that glares at me, is that you stand by your own racial bias, even when your own kin have done the wrong thing ! You are out there promoting what a conspiracy it all is, if this guy just remained calm, this fatal tragedy would not have taken place ! The courts have ruled against your conspiracy theory, and that's something you MUST accept, if you choose to remain happy living in this fabulous city..

    If an Aussie, European or American was the man who got shot, I'd still not feel any sympathy toward them, they behaved badly, they chose to attack a police officer, anybody with a morsel of common sense knows better than to do that, because it usually ends up badly, ie with a criminal conviction, jail, deportation or worse, shot !

    Anybody with half a brain, especially in a country where the police don't speak your language, would have been assertive enough to acknowledge a raised voice, and if a gun was drawn, you would instinctively surrender in a none threatening pose. That is what a normal person would have done !

    Vrin, your Nepali mate would be alive today, had he not taken on a cop, fate decided his number was up, now he's dead.

    In respect to the victim who was shot, and their family... It might be prudent to close this thread down, it has more than run its course.

    Last edited by Skyhook; 01-09-2010 at 07:11 PM.

  7. #337

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Discovery Bay
    Posts
    5,016

    All very true, what a NORMAL person would have done, but also irrelevant because he clearly was NOT a normal person. Clearly he was disturbed and not of sound mind, because, as you rightly put it, a normal person would not have done what he did. I also believe it is reported that he was mentally ill, so I am not merely stating an opinion.

    It seems to me that you support the idea of holding the mentally unsound to the standards of the 'normal' folks. I also don't see what this has to do with the guy being Nepalese or Aussie/American as you put it.

    I have to agree with gilleshk that it was an unfortunate accident, but while the cop acted in self-defence, I feel he should step down. I also feel the gummint ought to offer financial assistance or compensation to the man's widow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    What discussion is there ?

    The ironic thing that glares at me, is that you stand by your own racial bias, even when your own kin have done the wrong thing ! You are out there promoting what a conspiracy it all is, if this guy just remained calm, this fatal tragedy would not have taken place ! The courts have ruled against your conspiracy theory, and that's something you MUST accept, if you choose to remain happy living in this fabulous city..

    If an Aussie, European or American was the man who got shot, I'd still not feel any sympathy toward them, they behaved badly, they chose to attack a police officer, anybody with a morsel of common sense knows better than to do that, because it usually ends up badly, ie with a criminal conviction, jail, deportation or worse, shot !

    Anybody with half a brain, especially in a country where the police don't speak your language, would have been assertive enough to acknowledge a raised voice, and if a gun was drawn, you would instinctively surrender in a none threatening pose. That is what a normal person would have done !

    Vrin, your Nepali mate would be alive today, had he not taken on a cop, fate decided his number was up, now he's dead.

    In respect to the victim who was shot, and their family... It might be prudent to close this thread down, it has more than run its course.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

  8. #338

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:

    I have to agree with gilleshk that it was an unfortunate accident, but while the cop acted in self-defence, I feel he should step down. I also feel the gummint ought to offer financial assistance or compensation to the man's widow.
    It could very well be why the widow is pursuing this... It is also possible she wasn't with him anymore because of his illness and the fact that he was probably not a very good provider. I'm not sure she's entitled to very much since he wasn't very likely to have much in terms of future earnings. It may be a bit cold but it's the reality...

  9. #339

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ex Sai Kunger
    Posts
    8,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    I also feel the gummint ought to offer financial assistance or compensation to the man's widow.


    Posted via Mobile Device
    Lets look at Foxconn, who compensated the families of the workers who committed suicide, offering the (poor) families more money than the worker would earn in their entire life...

    What do you think if the HK Govt just said, o.k, even if you illegally took on a cop, we'll award your poor family $1 million hkd ( or more ) for the dead law breakers mental break down, and their opportunity to be, a premeditated, self sacrificial offering ? Can you imagine what would happen next ?

    Nice logic, Dread ....
    Last edited by Skyhook; 01-09-2010 at 09:11 PM.

  10. #340

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Discovery Bay
    Posts
    5,016
    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I'm not sure she's entitled to very much since he wasn't very likely to have much in terms of future earnings. It may be a bit cold but it's the reality...
    I am not exactly saying she should be awarded a house and a lifetime of monthly payouts. I don't know what would be an appropriate means of compensation. Education for their children (if they had any) perhaps? One way or another, I don't think it is right for the gummint to be absolving themselves of responsibility.

    Heck, even if she doesn't see a dollar, I think the gummint ought to at the very least re-think its approach to social services and I don't mean that they should be throwing money at the problem. If the social welfare department were to take a close look at this case and study the circumstances of the deceased, it may very well be that they will find ways to deal with root causes. If lessons learnt from this case will help to prevent another such needless death years from now, it will be worth it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    What do you think if the HK Govt just said, o.k, even if you illegally took on a cop, we'll award your poor family $1 million hkd ( or more ) for the dead law breakers mental break down, and their opportunity to be, a premeditated, self sacrificial offering ? Can you imagine what would happen next ?
    I expected that you would cite the most extreme possible example for the sake of holding up your argument.

    It is my expectation that, the next time this happens, the copS (not cop) sent to the scene are better equipped to deal with a crazed, high as a kite hobo and will not have to resort to firing a weapon. Unless you feel that no amount of training will prepare patrol officers to handle a situation like this...in which case I firmly disagree.

    By your logic, all crazy people should be shot... which does not surprise me in the least.