Like Tree2Likes

Man dies after being shot by policeman

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

If the situation did indeed go down as it's described in the SCMP article, I'd say the cop was justified in using lethal force, since he did exhaust his other options and the guy kept coming.

However, if the attacker was indeed an illegal immigrant, I find it strange that some would assume he was insane or "on drugs" simply because he attacked the officer. I'd think it's far more likely he was just desperate not to be caught and sent back to where he came from.

Why don't we stop all the nonsense here and wait for a proper investigation.

What we have so far are some media reports, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by lolatlife:
    But it's OK that homeless person was proved ''guilty'' on the spot and given a ''death penalty'' without any trial?!?!
    Is this a joke? Do you actually understand what police officers are paid to do?

Nothing wrong with some speculative discussion. Noone's forcing you to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    No, it's not a joke as I don't find this incident funny at all. Obviously, everyone knows what police officers are for but for ME that still doesn't justify a person armed with wooden chair was shot in the head by a gun in a safe city like HK. Was it really necessary? I am just a stupid ordinary woman may be I am not too clear what the police officers really do.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    uhhh...paid to kill people right? that's what i thought.

seriously, if this cop was trained to be 'the best in the world' as stated earlier, he should have been able to take this guy down, OR back away and wait for assistance, running if necessary...what he SHOULDN'T have done is try his half-learned Rambo moves, then pull his gun when he proved out-matched

in my opinion...
    Last edited by timklip; 18-03-2009 at 11:14 AM.

I am just a stupid ordinary woman may be I am not too clear what the police officers really do.
    Police officers are given the authority to make such important life/death decisions on the spot. Their mandate is to protect the peace, to protect the citizens, not to protect armed crazies. I wonder how you would have felt if the police officer had decided to let the man walk away and he then attacked you or a loved one?

I'm surprised that people think being attacked by a chair is no big deal. If the police officer was indeed on the ground, had already tried pepper spray and using his baton what else could he have done? This is not tv. The police officer was not Jackie Chan.

It's all very unfortunate but it happens.

At least is not Europe here is you attack a policeman then get ready to pay the price! Isn't it why Hong Kong is so safe ?

here's the story with more details for those of you making comments off the cuff

The Standard - Hong Kong's First FREE English Newspaper

this was NOT an emergency situation...why would the cop approach the man alone...there was evidence of the man 'shouting and changing his clothes in plain view'...would this not trigger the consideration of mental instability and warrant the attention of a group of officers?

i think 'the best in the world' dropped the ball on this one and unfortunately someone is dead because of it...

Last edited by timklip; 18-03-2009 at 11:20 AM.

I'm surprised that people think being attacked by a chair is no big deal. If the police officer was indeed on the ground, had already tried pepper spray and using his baton what else could he have done? This is not tv. The police officer was not Jackie Chan.

It's all very unfortunate but it happens.
    I don't really recall anyone in this forum said it's no big deal for anyone being attacked by a chair and as far as I know NOBODY in this forum was there to witness the whole incident. You are right it's indeed very UNFORTUNATE that happened.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast