Like Tree2Likes

Man dies after being shot by policeman

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire:
    I'm fairly sure I'm not insane, and I would absolutely defend myself to the utmost of my ability against a police officer if I felt that they were abusing their authority and using an unreasonable level of force against me.
    Frankly I think that proves that you are.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    It seems that the reason Hong Kong is safe is because the police are armed and well trained. Therefore, is it safe to assume that if the police were not armed or well trained Hong Kong would descend into chaos.

However, I'm a little puzzled as to why in some other countries there are high crime rates even though the police forces are well trained, funded and armed.
    You might want to research that a little before you shoot your keyboard off like that... HK has more police per citizen employed than majoroty of the worlds first world western nations. Very few cities/countries in the world can boast the low crime stats that we all take for granted here in HKG, but then, so do the citizens of Japan, and Singapore....

Where are you from that does a more effective policing job ?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    You might want to go on the HK Canto forums and see how long you last against HK citizens that have only ever lived here sweetie pie...An overwhelming majority are standing by the actions of the police, not the offender...
    I won't go there because I am NOT trying to go against anyone here....
    Last edited by lolatlife; 18-03-2009 at 01:37 PM.

>> An overwhelming majority are standing by the actions of the police

Well, we have the benefit of being a little bit more worldly than the local HK person. I'd love to see how they'd react if it was a local teenager who got shot...

I personally would have also loved to see the reactions if the ethnicity of the illegal (or even the fact that this was an illegal immigrant) was kept confidential. I suspect it was released so early in the news cycle, to sway public opinion.

Sometimes, I have a very dim view of the manipulation the govt tends to get involved in at times.

My point being .. we're all getting way too worked up without knowing the facts. Unless there is a video .. it is the cops word against the word of the dead man.

Skyhook - sweetie pie expert - nobody is trying to be For or Against (there is no Bush here)...so you might as well stop watching your Plasma TV.

The man is dead.

We shall see what the investigation says. It might appear at first (with the minimum info we have now) that the Police Officer was in a precarious situation and shot to defend himself. Nonetheless we are not yet in position to say for sure that what the policeman did was the right decision.

There are way too many factors we are not aware yet.

[Police per capita]

Skyhook: NationMaster - Police (per capita) (most recent) by country

If the ratio of policemen is to be taken into account.. HK is in VERY dubious company...

#1 Montserrat: 7.81501 per 1,000 people
    #2 Mauritius: 7.28432 per 1,000 people
    #3 Dominica: 6.40311 per 1,000 people
    #4 Italy: 5.55565 per 1,000 people
    #5 Hong Kong: 4.79374 per 1,000 people
    #6 Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of: 4.7868 per 1,000 people
    #7 Portugal: 4.64878 per 1,000 people
    #8 Kazakhstan: 4.54998 per 1,000 people
    #9 Latvia: 4.51878 per 1,000 people
    #10 Czech Republic: 4.47613 per 1,000 people

The first question that needs to be asked is whether the policeman coiuld have bene killed by a man armed with a chair.
    I think the answer to that is yes...

The second question is: Did the policeman try to subdue to attacker by other means? Again the answer is yes...

Now someone mentioned the guy being shot in the head as if he was executed...

This appears quite far from the truth, we have a guy that is continuing to attack a policemen which in itself is very odd and that hasn't been stopped by means that are quite severe.

If you think that as a policeman, the guy is supposed to be cool as a cucumber after being assaulted, having tried pepper spray and his baton and then draw his weapon very cooly, aim and fire a perfect shot where he wants, well, you guys watch way too many Clint Eastwood movies.

Cops don't spend a lot of time on the firing range nor in training sessions where they get attacked like this nor do they need to because these kinds of incident are very rare.

They guy did his job, I imagine he's not particularly happy nor proud he shot and killed the guy and it seems more like a provoked accident than an execution.

The worst thing that should be done to him is to put him on desk duty for a few weeks. He did his job, followed procedure and defended his life.

It's an unfortunate incident but certainly not something to get all up in arms about. It's not like the HK police has a reputation for violence or being trigger happy.

>> provoked accident

Probably the best term to describe it.

Adapted from HK Standard

Expat Student Shot Dead.

Diana Lee

Wednesday, March 18, 2009
    An investigation is underway to find out why a police constable shot dead an unarmed expat student who attacked him with a wooden chair.
    The officer arrived to deal with a nuisance complaint about the student, who had been drinking in Lan Kwai Fong, shortly after 11pm yesterday.
    Police chiefs say when the constable - who has been in the force for 11 years and works at Wanchai station - tried to check the student's identity, he lashed out with his fists and then with the chair.
    "The officer tried to subdue the suspect with pepper spray, but failed," Wanchai Deputy District Commander Wong Chun-chin said. "The officer then used his baton and pepper spray again, but the suspect continued to attack him. The officer drew his revolver after warning and fired two shots, one of which hit the man's head."
    Police confirmed that no knives or guns were found at the scene in Lan Kwai Fong. Wong confirmed that no attempt was made to snatch the officer's gun.
    Friends of the student confirmed that he had been out drinking since earlier that evening. There are also reports that he had taken some drugs. The 19 year old student, the son of an International School teacher who has lived in Hong Kong for 25 years, died in Queen Mary hospital 4 hours after the shooting.
    A witness said that after coming out of a bar, the student had come out of the bar and started arguing with another older man. They had then started to shout loudly and police had soon arrived.
    Janice Wong, a manger at a nearby bar said the police tried to pacify the student with both a baton and pepper spray, but the student lifted a bar chair and then attacked the police officer.
    Asked if he thought the officer had exercised professional judgment before opening fire, Wong said an officer is justified in using his revolver when other means to subdue the suspect fail and he feels his life, or that of anyone else, is being threatened. "Of course he wouldn't deliberately shoot [the suspect] in the head, but in the spur of moment it's difficult to say where the bullet will hit," Wong said.

Last edited by drumbrake; 18-03-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:

If you think that as a policeman, the guy is supposed to be cool as a cucumber after being assaulted, having tried pepper spray and his baton and then draw his weapon very cooly, aim and fire a perfect shot where he wants, well, you guys watch way too many Clint Eastwood movies.

Cops don't spend a lot of time on the firing range nor in training sessions where they get attacked like this nor do they need to because these kinds of incident are very rare.
    You make a good point, though it does seem (from the limited evidence available) that the copper screwed up with his spray, screwed up with his baton, fell over, then had to resort to shooting the guy because he was somewhat bumbling.

He may not have violated any procedures or laws, but it's a terrible result that another cop might have avoided. The Post mentions that he was first on the scene and ran up there alone. The homeless man was reported for urinating in a public place.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast