State of Emergency in Bangkok ...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

State of Emergency in Bangkok ...

Good timing, what with thousands of people from Hong Kong taking a break in Thailand. Hope everyone can get back to work by Tuesday... safely.

Isnt Thaksin in exile in Hong Kong (while we were all worrying about Mugabe?

Thailand PM declares Bangkok state of emergency | World news | guardian.co.uk

Thailand has imposed a state of emergency in its capital, Bangkok, and surrounding areas.

The decision by the prime minister, Abhisit Vejjajiva, comes a day after anti-government protesters swarmed into a hotel hosting an Asian summit, forcing its cancellation.

The protesters, who are seeking Abhisit's resignation, blocked a Bangkok intersection for several days last week, disrupting traffic.

Abhisit's decree bans gatherings of more than five people and forbids reporting that is considered threatening to public order.

The cancellation of yesterday's summit in the seaside resort of Pattaya was a humiliating setback for the Thai government, which was forced to fly nine of the Asian leaders by helicopter to a military base after the protesters stormed the conference centre.

The demonstrators are supporters of the former prime minister Thaksin Sinawatra, and are known as the Red Shirts. Local media said Thaksin had asked his supporters to "swarm the summit venue" – Royal Cliff Beach Hotel – and force him to step down.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

If you remember the yellow brigade was gumming up the works around Advent and managed to dislodge not one but two prime ministers.
    So naturally for Lent the red johnnys grided their loins and wanted the prime minister and the asean guys to go away.
    Well now the prime minister having declared a state of emergency has suddenly found himself officeless [not as bad as being out of office, but stressful enough for him to call out the goon squad]

I wonder what will be the colour of the protet for Buddha's birthday?

what is happening to such a great country. Its all going down hill.

maybe its time for the king to step in.

By not stepping in, he lends credence to the rumors that he supports the yellow brigade from the earlier protests.
    If I am not mistaken, Thaksin was duly elected and then turfed out in a non-political way?

they need way better crowd control....

Just arrived in Bangkok!
    I didnt see any nervous tourists at or around the airport. Dunno why the international agencies always make up some weird things...

Oh by the way, giant fights all around the roads here. But people are using water-guns... good to know how everybody has a great time!

What is the problem with these rioters? The majority of the population has elected a bloke. Don't like him? Get over it. In a democracy the majority decides. Hopefully in the next election the bloke you like will get elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Safran:
    What is the problem with these rioters? The majority of the population has elected a bloke. Don't like him? Get over it. In a democracy the majority decides. Hopefully in the next election the bloke you like will get elected.
    That's where I was going. Seems to me if you elect somebody, turfing him out because of a protest is just asking for trouble. First you turf my guy I out, then I turf your guy out and the process will never end. Seems like a big step backward.
    That's the problem with democracy, a large portion of the population won't be happy with the result but you have to use the system to get your guy in. Not lawyers, judges, riots, guns and money.
    Of course, easier said than done and every democracy went through a rough patch or two when people tried it the Thai way.

you can't please everyone as the saying goes...

a far fetched solution when i get annoyed with ppl rioting and protesting about their leaders is to split the country up into different parts and have differnent leaders in each area. the people can just move and live in the area where their supported leader is ruling.

obviously there are problems with this suggestion, such as deciding which party gets where, the diffculties of people moving around, the uneven demographics in each region, aggressive/pacifist leaders, what happens when the leader has to change etc etc.

which makes me want to give some of these people a slap and remind them " you don't appreciate what you had, until it is gone"

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast