Texas "declares independance"....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Texas "declares independance"....

Good to see someone standing up to the Obama / Federalist brigades...

Office of the Governor Rick Perry - Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

Gov. Rick Perry today joined state Rep. Brandon Creighton and sponsors of House Concurrent Resolution (HCR) 50 in support of states’ rights under the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

“I believe that our federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our state,” Gov. Perry said. “That is why I am here today to express my unwavering support for efforts all across our country to reaffirm the states’ rights affirmed by the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I believe that returning to the letter and spirit of the U.S. Constitution and its essential 10th Amendment will free our state from undue regulations, and ultimately strengthen our Union.”

A number of recent federal proposals are not within the scope of the federal government’s constitutionally designated powers and impede the states’ right to govern themselves. HCR 50 affirms that Texas claims sovereignty under the 10th Amendment over all powers not otherwise granted to the federal government.

This is not a bid for independence but a reminder that unless it is specified otherwise in the Constitution, states rights are supreme. The founders did not want any European style oppressive regimes.

States rights are supreme in the US however encroachment has been huge such as in education and health. Texas doesn't like it but many states go to the Feds for funds. It is a classic debate about a strong federal government who lollies out the money when it wants versus having the taxes paid locally and provided to local issues.

The founders of course did not contemplate the issue of health care for example so the Constitution is devoid of that topic and of course the feds get involved in disease control for example. The founders believed that health was a personal issue and not something for governments to concern themselves with. Americans will die before a single payer system like in Canada or the UK system is brought in. Ironically, the tragic death of actress Natasha Richardson who fell recently during a ski lesson on a bunny slope (nothing big but she hit her head and later went into a coma not to recover) has been used as reasons why the state should not intervene in health care. How that death could be connected to Canadian health care is bizarre.

>> "This is not a bid for independence"

But it sounds good.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

“I believe that our federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our state...”

Why didn't he declare all this last year when Bush was in power? Or he just another pissed-off republican?

Well, Texas is a unique case. Texas is the only state that joined the union by treaty, as it was an independant republic before. So they probably do have a right, written somewhere in that treaty, that gives them the right to revert to their own republic if they choose.

This sounds great! I hope they get that independence, so the world won't have another Bush as president of USA, he will just be president of an enormous beach, Texas.

The Feds have been encroaching on state rights for years and years and I don't think for the better, butit can be argued either way and the argument goes all the way back to the founding of the country.
    BTW TX has the right to split into 4 states, if it so chooses. Thus giving them 8 senators.
    But I think the Federal government has taken size, intrusion and interference to a whole new level under Obama. Which is perhaps why Perry didn't say anything last year.
    For instance, I don't recall Bush removing the CEO of a private company, nor owning large parts of several private companies.
    And I am a "pissed-off" Republican. But probably more pissed off at Bush, than Obama. And for different reasons. Obama is basically doing what he said/I knew he would do. Hard to be really upset with that. Perry could be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    But I think the Federal government has taken size, intrusion and interference to a whole new level under Obama.
    Seems you and Shri spend too much time on Drudgereport.

Why are republicans/conservatives moaning and bitching now? When California legalized medicinal marijuana and Bush sent the DEA in, where was your party talking about State rights? Same with abortion, gay marriage...

Stop acting like a bunch of sore losers. You lost the election, now give Americans a better plan than the Democrats and you might win the next election.

I said I was more upset with Bush.
    The Feds should not be sticking their noses (but not inhaling, of course) in CA's medical marijuana plans. State right. Ditto for marriage, abortions, and probably a lot of other things we would agree on.
    The Feds expanded way too much under Bush, so Obama had a raised platform to start with. And I said Obama is doing what he said/I expected he would do so it is hard to be upset with him. He ran a much better campaign and is now--hororrs--trying to make good on his campaign rhetoric.
    So I am not sure why you think I am a sore loser.

>> Shri spend too much time on Drudgereport.

And politico, Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg. I refuse to go to CNN or Fox websites these days.... both are on the extreme ends of right and left.

From some of the followups, I have to agree that this guy is bit of a nutter... but I completely see his viewpoint.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast