If you see this woman, be very careful!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

If you see this woman, be very careful!

I am grateful to the Heresiarch (an excellent UK blogger) for highlighting this woman:

who recently demonstrated on TV that mindless conformity is alive and well (as was also reflected in the results of MovingIn07's poll on the HK Government's panic). The programme repeated the famous Milgram experiment involving testing people's willingness to, apparently, give dangerous electric shocks to others in the name of science. At the Heresiarch reports it:

The women, I'm sorry to report, appeared to be the worst. A pretty nineteen year-old student dished out the shocks without a flicker of emotion or thought - even after hearing a voice screaming "let me out - my heart's starting to bother me". After that, the subject stopped answering - an obvious sign that something was seriously amiss. But this did not even occur to the airhead at the controls, who continued flicking the switches, until eventually she turned to the "professor" with a beaming smile and asked "have we killed him?" Terrifying.
    Scary stuff indeed.

She's quite hot! Just trip the circuit breaker before she comes over...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I am grateful to the Heresiarch (an excellent UK blogger) for highlighting this woman:

who recently demonstrated on TV that mindless conformity is alive and well (as was also reflected in the results of MovingIn07's poll on the HK Government's panic). The programme repeated the famous Milgram experiment involving testing people's willingness to, apparently, give dangerous electric shocks to others in the name of science. At the Heresiarch reports it:Scary stuff indeed.
    Unless she assumed, like any sane person in civilised society, that it was all faked.

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    Unless she assumed, like any sane person in civilised society, that it was all faked.
    Repeated experiments show that your assumption about otherwise sane people is not borne out in reality.

The experiment has been done with live puppies that the subjects could see being shocked and the results were much the same.

The programme described in the blog apparently demonstrated a tendency to violence that is spread across many different cultures.

She is blond. She probably didn't really understand what was going on.

Interesting story anyway if you bother reading the blog post.

haven't seen the program or read the blog but Milgram's experiment is pretty widely known these days in the UK - you can thank Derren 'my name's not Darren' Brown for that.

So the experiment was carried out killing live puppies? Crumbs! That's something I would not like to see.

Repeated experiments show that your assumption about otherwise sane people is not borne out in reality.

The experiment has been done with live puppies that the subjects could see being shocked and the results were much the same.

The programme described in the blog apparently demonstrated a tendency to violence that is spread across many different cultures.

i probably would give electric shocks to someone though, especially in a controlled lab environment, where they were likely to have known what they are signing up to...

Just like the fools from Jackass... if they asked me to kick them in their balls, or shoot them with stapler guns... i probably would...

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    i probably would give electric shocks to someone though, especially in a controlled lab environment, where they were likely to have known what they are signing up to...
    Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:

Just like the fools from Jackass... if they asked me to kick them in their balls, or shoot them with stapler guns... i probably would...
    Eh, don't happen to be blond, too, are ya? (C'mon... even if it's just off a bottle? )

BTW, "Jackass" is roaringly crazy fun BUT also painfully saaad... TV - after first 15mins or so (tho guy friends concur NOT)... Herd mentality coupled with surplus testosterone.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
    Q.E.D. ?

Time to spin off the line you did to Bookblogger the other day on Greeks thread:

"Stop trying to be clever"
    Last edited by emmie; 14-05-2009 at 03:59 PM.

I wasn't trying to be clever but "QED" was rejected as too short.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast