War on Drugs

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

In the SubStandard today a 'respected government advisory body' (what a recommendation that is) are suggesting sending sniffer dogs into schools to scare children from becoming drug traffickers.

Absolute genius.

In my opinion:

• continue the encouragement of creativity and group sports: providing outlets for our affect will help to reduce rates of drug use/abuse. This is a vital component of a long term solution.

• bring in some "outsiders' to deal with the problem(s) associated with Shenzhen: the local ruling class (aka "communist" party officials) and some Shenzhen law enforcement are in bed with the drug trade there. No real progress will be made without getting around that connection -- Mexico is a prime example.

I agree with drug-testing and sniffer dogs in schools because we're talking about kids! On the flip side, I think adults should be able to purchase clean recreational substances from government approved sources. Alcohol prohibition never worked--you'd think the western world would have learned something.

Jay, you must've seen "what about the kids?" used as a silver bullet in drug discussions everywhere. Since you're a teacher, I'd like to hear how you think drug testing and sniffer dogs are going to help.

I don't see how it's going to help. So you test the kids, some of them are going to be detected as using certain substances. What then? They're labelled for the rest of their lives and will never have the same opportunities regardless of whether they stop using or not.

Drug use and abuse is a private issue, even if we're talking about minors. If we're talking about minors, it's an issue between the parents and the minor. The government has no business there. If the parents are worth a damn, they'll work through it without any need for intervention from the government. If the parents are useless, the kids are screwed no matter what the government does.

I don't see how this is anything but yet another attempt by the government to be seen as doing something about a popular issue.

And Donald Dolittle has admitted it will take many years...

Sniffer Dogs in schools - the kids are most likely getting drugs 'on the outside' and the sniffer dogs in schools doesn't address the real issue of who the f' is supplying the kids. So we'll have sniffer dogs everywhere then? In the play ground, on the street corner, in the mates house, in the arcade....?

And as per the post above - increasing the stigma will not help.
    On the TV the other night some numb nuts was saying that it is voluntary but the children could refuse the test - but refusal of the test might indicate the child needed attention because it would indicate...but of course the child wouldn't be labelled a drug abuser....

There is a very simple question that has to be asked BEFORE you start to discuss how to address the problem of some children trying very dangerous drugs.

Why are some HK children trying dangerous drugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire:
    Jay, you must've seen "what about the kids?" used as a silver bullet in drug discussions everywhere. Since you're a teacher, I'd like to hear how you think drug testing and sniffer dogs are going to help.

I don't see how it's going to help. So you test the kids, some of them are going to be detected as using certain substances. What then? They're labelled for the rest of their lives and will never have the same opportunities regardless of whether they stop using or not.

Drug use and abuse is a private issue, even if we're talking about minors. If we're talking about minors, it's an issue between the parents and the minor. The government has no business there. If the parents are worth a damn, they'll work through it without any need for intervention from the government. If the parents are useless, the kids are screwed no matter what the government does.

I don't see how this is anything but yet another attempt by the government to be seen as doing something about a popular issue.
    Speechless -- what next ? Allow pedophiles access to schools ?
    In your logic any action against them would be a restriction of their rights because their perverted ways would be a private matter ?

Is it right we abandon our responsibility to the children?

I think kids should be penalized with weeks of after-school detention/rehab (NOT criminal convictions/jail time/suspension/expulsion) if they are caught with drugs or with dirty urine/hair, and they should get 'time off' for pointing toward the people who've supplied them.

Drugs are far more harmful to children than they are to adults, and children do not have the same ability to reason as adults do (not that all adults are masters of reasoning), so IMO kids should not be experimenting with them at all. A lot of parents simply do not know if their kids are using, and a lot of parents simply cannot handle their kids. Children should not even be drinking, let alone sniffing packets of K on parking lot rooftops.

Adults should be allowed to make their own decisions regarding the substances they wish to use, but children are not capable of the same. Until they're adults, they need to play by the rules and realize there's nothing wrong with responsible drug use--when they're old enough to make their own decisions and their bodies have stopped developing.

Why the explosion of K use here? It's cheap, readily available, and seen as normal by many. Pure K used in moderation and responsibly (by adults) is fine, but like alcohol, it can cause blackouts or even death in high dosages. Kids should NOT be using it though.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 17-07-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    A lot of parents simply do not know if their kids are using, and a lot of parents simply cannot handle their kids.
    This, to me, is the real issue. Somehow, decent parents will tend to be in touch with their kids, while bad parents either don't care or are plain incompetent. In the schools that I went to, some started experimenting with alcohol as early as the 6th grade. The kids who did start drinking mostly had crappy relationships with one or both of their parents. Abusive fathers and plain uninvolved parents seemed to be the common theme.

I also think people seriously underestimate the intelligence of kids. If you educate them about the risks and give them a fair and balanced view of the different substances, instead of using scare tactics and emotional anecdotes, they often are capable of making up their own minds. Most of my friends in school stayed away from drinking even though it was easily available, simply because they thought it wasn't worth it.

Boris,
    Your ability to link paedophilia to drugs is disingenuous at best. It doesn't help this debate and doesn'y introduce any ideas as to how to warn kids off drugs or help those already trying drugs - the quality of your arguments and the logic used in developing them is poor.

Jay,
    No one is suggesting kids taking drugs is a good idea - the debate is whether to look to enforce stricter testing to catch people doing drugs - or - what I think is better a way to keep people from trying them until they are old enough and informed enough to make adult choices.

Though it is interesting to compare and contrast alcohol use esp. with regard to countries such as Italy where children are introduced to alcohol in a family environment at a young age.

Load Toad - I repeat - I take no lectures from Drug addicts who would, based upon your vacuous comments before, allow drugs into schools because ---- its a private matter.

Children are NOT a private matter, there are a responsibility for which we do everything to educate them to be better people that we have learnt to be. That is how we grow as human beings, not by saying that injurious practices are perfectly acceptable, just because its fashionable to do so. Otherwise lets not teach them anything and just allow them to grow up unguided and uneducated - because its a private matter how parents deal with their children.

Duty of care is more than just making sure someone can safely cross the road.