Philippines Flooding - thoughts to victims

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Until that changes, the whole country will not change. A pity more affluent neighbourhoods were not flooded.
    On the TV this morning a celeb of some form was describing her horror story (rescued off the roof). Poor thing had a bruised knee, which of course we had a close up of.

Pampanga update for those with interests in that area - landslide at Mount Arrayat (sp?) has killed a few. Nice area for a swim and hike in normal times by the way. One of my sister-in-laws is trapped in her village because the bridge is down.

yes only in the philippines that celebrities and those with money get the publicity and the priority for rescue !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Star Gazer:
    yes only in the philippines that celebrities and those with money get the publicity and the priority for rescue !!!
    No, this happens all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Pampanga update for those with interests in that area - landslide at Mount Arrayat (sp?) has killed a few.
    Yes - I heard about that. "Arayat" I believe, btw. One thing I've worried about, but convinced myself we're far enough away from, is lahars from Pinatubo (we're 35km from Pinatubo, 10km from Arayat).

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Yes - I heard about that. "Arayat" I believe, btw. One thing I've worried about, but convinced myself we're far enough away from, is lahars from Pinatubo (we're 35km from Pinatubo, 10km from Arayat).
    Well we've just bought a property on the Xevera development which is located where Delores (wife's home city) used to be before it was wiped out.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker:
    Indonesia is more or less a failed state - utterly corrupt, and very little public revenue to spend on things like that.
    Fixed.

Oh wait...
    Bangladesh is more or less a failed state - utterly corrupt, and very little public revenue to spend on things like that.
    What?

Okay, so it's safe to say that much of Asia is in the same boat. However the ones most hit by natural disasters suffer more than others.
    How does New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina fit in there?
    Apples and bowling balls, my friend.

The maximum sustained winds in the KETSANA system were 140kph, whilst within the Katrina system max. sustained winds recorded were 280kph.

But let's put the numbers aside for a moment. The entire Gulf coast region from Florida to Texas is vulnerable to hurricanes and severe thunderstorms, so it's not like they're unprepared. If they were, then there would be far greater casualties. Thanks to evacuation procedures, to name just ONE precaution, most of the destruction occurs to property, and the loss of life is greatly limited.

That's not to mention that they HAVE levees, nevermind that they failed. What does the Philippines have? Whatever they may have, it ain't working. And why they haven't built what they need to build to prevent floods and get people to safety FAST, you know better than I do. Lack of money, government apathy or what have you.

I wouldn't call the US a failed state, not just yet. But yes, they too are afflicted with the god delusion, so it's probably just a matter of time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Well we've just bought a property on the Xevera development which is located where Delores (wife's home city) used to be before it was wiped out.
    That's, er, brave given that Pinatubo still rumbles from time to time. I guess you won't be getting insurance for that!

That's, er, brave given that Pinatubo still rumbles from time to time. I guess you won't be getting insurance for that!
    You don't get the keys until you have bought a fire extinguisher so no worries

Quote Originally Posted by Star Gazer:
    "Ketsana death toll rises to 240, new cyclone to enter RP"

and next year is their elections... wonder what the aspirants are doing to up their brownie points
    ohh, interesting.. saw one presidentiable's name "donated by: XXX" taped on a styro-packed food distributed to the evacuees. just the perfect opportunity, eh?