smokers take note

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    and also make sure the eBikes are legal if they are not. There shouldd be whole areas of HK like central where cars should not be allowed. You want to go in, you ride a bike, or a rickshaw.

I did the calculation. All of HK's smokers put together equate to the CO2 output of a small number of cars, it was like 2 or a silly low number. Quit bitching about smokers and look at what is in the air if you are serious.

And lets not even start on China buses.
    One doesn't have to preclude the other... Smoking is absolutely useless and has more severe direct costs to health care. On top of it, it only affects a minority so it's easy to legislate the hell out of it and it's finally being done.

At least cars have a genuine purpose and can be made safer and less polluting. Hopefully fume spewing, gaz guzzlers will soon be a thing of the past like smoking indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    Words of Winston who was a smoker and lived to 91 "You can live a healthy life, not drink or smoke and live to a 100, but it will feel like 200"
    Only to morons who can't find other things to entertain themselves... You like playing russian roulette? Go right ahead but trying to defend it makes you sound like an idiot...

In any case, your time has passed... you can always go live in China though. You might hang on a few more years puffing everywhere
    Last edited by gilleshk; 20-10-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Oi, less of the personal, ok? If smoking is Russian roulette, then so is open fire cooking or barbeques. The Japanese have traditionally higher smoking rates than anywhere in the world, yet much lower lung cancer and smoking related disease deaths. How do you explain that Batman? Guess they were all just lucky at playing Russian roulette? And btw, nah, I still smoke in HK bars and clubs, catch me if you can!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

When you look at a crowd of smokers outside huddled around an ashtray, count how many there are. Then pick half of them who you think will die from smoking. Great game and the kids can play too!

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    When you look at a crowd of smokers outside huddled around an ashtray, count how many there are. Then pick half of them who you think will die from smoking. Great game and the kids can play too!
    Going by your sums, where are the millions of UK deaths from smoking when the smoking rates were 70-80% in the 1940's and 1950's?

Well go ahead and keep dreaming about your conspiracy theories. That tin foil hat makes a great ashtray...

I don't need to waste my time on a nutter that thinks smoking is no more harmful than a BBQ. Keep sticking your head in the sand hoping things will be all right... As I said, your time has passed and that's good enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Well go ahead and keep dreaming about your conspiracy theories. That tin foil hat makes a great ashtray...

I don't need to waste my time on a nutter that thinks smoking is no more harmful than a BBQ. Keep sticking your head in the sand hoping things will be all right... As I said, your time has passed and that's good enough for me
    Conspiracy theories? It's not about proving facts, it's plain mathematics, the claims about the hazards of smoking to health are not backed up by the supposed number of dead smokers. I was genuinely concerned about the hazards of smoking, that's why I took the effort to research it, and that's how I came to the conclusion that while smoking isn't good to your health, it's not as deadly as say muching into a fat laden hamburger, drinking or not exercising sensibly.

And what's with the personal derogatory attacks? "Nutter"? Can't you debate something without getting personal? Tut, tut, ...crappy upbringing I guess (whoopsy!, did I just get personal?)
    Last edited by ray98; 20-10-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Conspiracy theories? It's not about proving facts, it's plain mathematics, the claims about the hazards of smoking to health are not backed up by the supposed number of dead smokers. I was genuinely concerned about the hazards of smoking, that's why I took the effort to research it, and that's how I came to the conclusion that while smoking isn't good to your health, it's not as deadly as say muching into a fat laden hamburger, drinking or not exercising sensibly.
    Wow I guess all those scientists are dumber than you then... You are obviously a genius. I guess the trials where cigarette companies(who are all very poor and can hardly defend themselves) lost and had to pay millions in restitution, plaster their packages with danger warnings etc... These people were all just plain wrong and of course you are right.

Perhaps you can enlighten us in how exactly drug companies make more money from having less smokers? Smokers statistically are sicker than non smokers(unless that's also a conspiracy theory) and therefor buy more drugs...

Please oh superior intellect, share with us that wonderful wisdom so that we too can live better lives...

Going by your sums, where are the millions of UK deaths from smoking when the smoking rates were 70-80% in the 1940's and 1950's?
    They were (partly) here:
    BBC NEWS | Health | Smoking bans 'cut heart attacks'

I think you're forgetting that smoking has much more damage besides the lungs as well. Amazing how you're denying the truth, just admit you're addicted, jeez.

Jeez...look it up yourselves...
    Smoking does not cause lung cancer, WHO 1999 statistics. Editorial from the Journal of Theoretics
    "In Defense of Smokers", by Lauren A. Colby / Table of Contents

Gilles, the smoking cessation market in the US alone is something like US$500m, and once again, PLEASE do not make this personal, it's a debate, ok? It's not about me or you or anyone else. I am just a strong believer in facts and hate junk science.

Gatts, a similar article for Scotland has already been ridiculed as factually misleading - just cant find it on hand. And addicted, yes and no. I stop voluntarily for 2-3 months on end every 2-3 years or so, for no reason whatsoever, but start again because I feel like it. Is that addiction?

Last edited by ray98; 20-10-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast