Macau may run out of drinking water

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Reminder to self: Never get stranded on a desert island with Bender...
    why?
    sure my post is simplified, but my point is that we have technology to purify sewage into potable water, so why does everyone keep saying drinking water is running low? you can easily purify ocean water for safe drinking.... and it would solve the rising sea levels.

on the otherhand, I am terrified of spiders, so I'd imagine I would not be a great survivalist.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Not by boiling it and running it through a Brita filter though.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    you can easily purify ocean water for safe drinking.... and it would solve the rising sea levels.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I don't think it is that easy. Or maybe it is just easy, but expensive.
    So again, water is just too cheap.
    But I like the "solving the rising sea level" angle.
    And not so sure I would trust the PRC to actually purify the waste water.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    I don't think it is that easy. Or maybe it is just easy, but expensive.
    So again, water is just too cheap.
    But I like the "solving the rising sea level" angle.
    And not so sure I would trust the PRC to actually purify the waste water.
    well...the astros are drinking their urine, and people stranded on islands have been able to do drink sea water without any complicated machinery. The biggest problem with sea water is the salt levels. I suppose for long term drinking there are more contaminates you would want filtered out, but again...it is possible with the right tools. and if someone with the right mind were to start a non-profit company designed to solve this rising sea level and drinking water problem, we'd probably hear less about it in the news.

Would converting sea water into drinking water actually do anything about rising sea levels? Surely it all ends up back in the sea in time?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Would converting sea water into drinking water actually do anything about rising sea levels? Surely it all ends up back in the sea in time?
    good point.... luckily I haven't invested much into thus project :P
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    well...the astros are drinking their urine, and people stranded on islands have been able to do drink sea water without any complicated machinery. The biggest problem with sea water is the salt levels. I suppose for long term drinking there are more contaminates you would want filtered out, but again...it is possible with the right tools. and if someone with the right mind were to start a non-profit company designed to solve this rising sea level and drinking water problem, we'd probably hear less about it in the news.
    People stranded on islands have to find a fresh water source. You cannot drink sea water - you only become more dehydrated (and other ugly stuff), then you die.

You say that "The biggest problem with sea water is the salt levels." Thanks for that Einstein - not sure what you really mean by that.

A desalination plant (to turn sea water into drinking water) on a commercial scale takes alot of energy, but there are many around the world. The cost though, is considerably higher than many other alternatives.

You offensive bully/prick! You're just scared of intelligent, confident Macanese sanitation engineers.

The body must consume some of it. It can't all be sent down the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDunross:
    The construction of a F off sized desalination plant, would have been a logical solution, had the UK not wanted to honour, its lease obligations.
    Small point of historical pedantry: only the New Territories were leased. Hong Kong and Kowloon were granted to Britain in perpetuity.