Like Tree7Likes

Fox News, most trusted news channel

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Interesting article on the topic in the BBC:

BBC News - Why do people often vote against their own interests?

Fox News - just like The Onion, but not as funny.
    [ame]http://www.theonion.com/content/video/victim_in_fatal_car_accident[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. No:
    So I guess you are against maternity leave, superannuation, retirement insurance, 5 day work weeks (instead of 7), health care (in some countries, not yours ), paid holidays, occupational health and safety rules, pay increases, etc.
    For the most part, that's what unions did in their past, not what they are doing today. Except for the pay increase thing. I work for a non-union company and have all those things you mention. Unions are no longer necessary to guarantee those items. But they were once and that is when they were at their most useful. Sort of an evolution from "necessary" through "necessary evil" heading "toward evil". Andextinction, for that matter as membership continues to decline and still no Indonesian sweat shops in sight.

Eh? I'm not sure I understand your point. Unions may not be necessary (or useful) for white collar internationally-mobile staff, but surely they could play a very valuable role in the sweatshops of Asia?

FWIW, I'm on the "whomever" team.

Another great The Daily Show piece on the 1 February show .... and Obama kicks some ass. Fox News decided to cut their live telecast short during Obamas Q & A because, well, it wasn't what they wanted their viewers to hear.
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/

(Can't get the direct links to work)

Last edited by Crocodile; 02-02-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: bad link

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Eh? I'm not sure I understand your point. Unions may not be necessary (or useful) for white collar internationally-mobile staff, but surely they could play a very valuable role in the sweatshops of Asia?
    I agree.

What I said was "And, if you can't come up with better reasons to hate unions (as they are today, not the ones from 60-100 years ago)...Finally, just for the record, I am anti-union (in the US today anyway; also against union votes which are not secret ballots)...".

So, unfortunately, you have to be able to read my mind (across great distances as I am now in the middle of China) and figure out I was thinking of unions in the US, today. Or across the rich world, today.

Unions are no longer necessary across the richer world.
    Unions are still necessary across the poorer world, as long as they focus on helping the average guy on the shop floor and not on lining the pockets/helping the polictical careers of the leaders.
    And yes, you can carve out exceptions in both the richer and poorer worlds either by industry or by country.