View Poll Results: Do you trust the church, unsupervised, with your kids ?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I have 100% faith in my church, they would never harm, my child.

4 12.50%
  • No, I'd prefer not to, if the Vatican protects offenders from our LAW

28 87.50%
Like Tree20Likes

The Church in AUS blames ATHEISM, for declining church congregations

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Perhaps the moral of the story is that churches should have bouncers?
    or strippers?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    or strippers?
    Just plain relevance might be sufficient.

Any poll with this kind of choice is obviously made up by someone who has already made up its mind and couldn't care less about the result. Therefore it's useless and baseless.

There are many, many reasons for the declining attendance in some churches in some countries. The abuse by priests is but a tiny speck in the spectrum of explanations that cover this matter.

I think anyone with a smug certain attitude on belief whether an atheist or a believer is someone to be shunned like any other zealot. It brings nothing to a debate except acrimony and resentment which will never foster peace or agreements.

Atheism isn't a religion. You can hardly blame people that don't believe in something as the cause for your god-botheting bunch of fruitbats not being popular. That'd be like blaming fans of basket ball for your inability to organise a cake decorating club.

Claire ex-ax and Skyhook like this.

Atheism isn't organized as a religion but it has some organization and if a group of people are organizing to discredit or tar religion then it certainly has an effect.

As in religion, it's not the church which is to blame but the people running it. The same can be said with atheism and atheists. There are people like me who don't believe and don't really care that others do and there are some who try to ridicule, put down, sensationalize religion in order to fulfill personal agendas.

The truth is that no one knows the answers to many questions, no one can prove whether there is or isn't a god(or gods) so the dangerous ones are as always the people that think they have the answers when there are none to be had and assume that others are wrong when it's simply not possible to have any proof at all.

The church is the people running it.
    Religions discredit themselves - the likes of Dawkins only point out how errant they are.
    So - people who believe nonsensical unproven rubbish are superior to people who believe in empirical science.

Nuts.

Claire ex-ax and Skyhook like this.

No one is superior because of a set of belief whether it's based on science or religion...

Science can do many things but it can't prove or disprove the existence of god(s)... It barely explains the world around us and as Einstein pointed out. It's hard to believe that such an order is completely random. Yet it's also hard to believe(for me anyway) that there's some sentient being(or many) looking down on us and affecting our lives. Who has the answers and can prove it? No one and I don't believe we'll ever know...

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    No one is superior because of a set of belief whether it's based on science or religion...
    Wrong. Just ask any religious group. Talk to any of them and they will tell you that you and everyone else is wrong and that they are right. Sigh.

I let in a couple of Jehovah's witnesses who frequently swung by the house in Melbourne and actually got along very well with them until they got to the point where discrediting a religion, that has been around for thousands of years before theirs came along, seemed as simple to them as saying "We are different, and offer different paths to salvation. But only one of us can be right, so 'Who?' The answer is 'us.'" At which point I felt that I could no longer carry on any fruitful, intellectually-stimulating conversation with them and politely asked them to leave.

Shame 'cause his intern was really smokin' hot.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Oh there's no doubt that many believe they are superior whether religious or not. It's quite obvious by some of the posts here too, it doesn't mean it's the reality...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Wrong. Just ask any religious group. Talk to any of them and they will tell you that you and everyone else is wrong and that they are right. Sigh.

Posted via Mobile Device
    Certainty in being right and everyone else being wrong is not limited to those of a religious tendency as I think has been repeatedly shown on this site In fact it may be the opposite. Think of the posters who are most likely to put down other posters for their 'wrong' opinions and then think of their religious or atheist views.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast